Shot placement with 22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
    My son has shot 2 does so far this year with his 22-250 using 64 gr Nosler Bonded Performance bullets. The 2 he shot were both in one morning hunt. I told him to shoot right behind the shoulder. He did just that, tucked it right behind the shoulder. Had a complete pass thru and totally obliterated both lungs and heart on both. But amazingly one went 100 yards the other 200 yards. Lucky they left a good blood trail. I am now telling him to shoot them right in the shoulders. There is no doubt in my mind a Bonded 64 gr bullet going 3300ft/sec. will have no problem blowing thru the shoulders at a reasonable distance. I limit him to 100 yards or less.

what gun n rate of twist. Hers is a savage axis ii with 1:12 rate of twist. Wondering if i should try the 60gr nosler partition? I think the 55gr fusion should be a good round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
      what gun n rate of twist. Hers is a savage axis ii with 1:12 rate of twist. Wondering if i should try the 60gr nosler partition? I think the 55gr fusion should be a good round.

He is shooting the Ruger American Compact all weather, it has 1:10 twist. I'm not familiar with the fusions but yes the Nosler Partition is a great bullet. Fusion is probably good to if it is a bullet designed for penetration and not fragmentation. I will let my boy shoot another couple deer with these 64 grain Bonded bullets but if the deer runs very far at all again I will probably load up some partitions and see how his rifle likes them. I just don't understand how they ran so far with all there organs blown to smithereens.

Comment

How far did she run?

Sorry for the late reply, she went 20yds. We were on a pipeline and I watched her drop.

Comment

He is shooting the Ruger American Compact all weather, it has 1:10 twist. I'm not familiar with the fusions but yes the Nosler Partition is a great bullet. Fusion is probably good to if it is a bullet designed for penetration and not fragmentation. I will let my boy shoot another couple deer with these 64 grain Bonded bullets but if the deer runs very far at all again I will probably load up some partitions and see how his rifle likes them. I just don't understand how they ran so far with all there organs blown to smithereens.

Thx.

Comment

Thx.

No problem. Did you find it? Put a dog on it?

Comment

I shot 4 with my daughters 22-250, always in the neck and dropped like a rock. . I would never hesitate to take that shot every day, as long as it was a clear bullet path.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                1. Having your daughter shoot at a deer 200 yards away is too far for a small child who lacks experience. She may have been aiming at the shoulder and could have hit anywhere, North or South based on how you said the deer reacted. Like everything else we raise our kids with, start them off simple and small to give them confidence. A 200 yard yard shot, uphill is like teaching Algebra to a kid that can't add 2+2

2. I started 3 kids out on a .22-250 and almost every deer shot in the shoulder dropped dry. I always used Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Fusions are close comparison.

Agreed...I'd keep it inside 100-125 yards until they prove their proficiency in the heat of the battle....and even then, I'd wait until they did it many times before I turned them loose at that distance. Shooting from a blind at a live animal is a much different "animal" than shooting from a bench at a target. Sure you know that... Good teaching and learning experience though.
                Last edited by Smart; 11-05-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

No problem. Did you find it? Put a dog on it?

No sir

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Agreed...I'd keep it inside 100-125 yards until they prove their proficiency in the heat of the battle....and even then, I'd wait until they did it many times before I turned them loose at that distance. Shooting from a blind at a live animal is a much different "animal" than shooting from a bench at a target. Sure you know that... Good teaching and learning experience though.

Thx

Comment

Gun and bullet are fine. It is my goto gun and have killed a bunch of critters with it. Don't beat yourself up and get her back in there. Looking forward to a post with both of you smiling LDP. I see many posts a week from grown men on here looking for deer they shot. It happens- it sucks- get back after it

Comment

Well without actually seeing the deer and knowing for sure it sounds like the bullet "splashed" on bone. Which that bullet isn't supposed to do that so there's no tellin what happened exactly. I'd say she's fully capable of making that shot from the way it sounds to me. She just had higher expectations of that bullet than it was capable of which I can't speak from experience because I've personally never used Fusion ammo but I'd have never thought it wouldn't punch through and hit vitals. And that buck could very well be dead somewhere.

When I was 11 years old I made a 275 yard shot on a doe hitting her in the same spot you described the bullet hitting on her buck. Only difference was I was shooting a .270wsm and the bullet punched clear through. So I can only assume that fast moving, small bullet didn't like hitting bone. Either way it doesn't matter now but I hope it doesn't discourage her to the point that she gives up on her chance on another. If you shoot enough of anything you're going to lose some due to things like that. It sucks and it's a bad feeling every time but it's eventually going to happen.

Comment

I let my younger daughter shoot a young buck at 80-90 yards with a 222 several years ago. She had head shot and dropped a big boar the previous evening with the same gun, shooting factory 50 gr CoreLokt ammo. The deer kicked his hind legs high and ran. I figured she heart-shot him.
                          I trailed him about 100 yards and lost the blood.
                          I had to get her back home for school the next day, but my brother and a friend trailed the deer another 150 yards the next day. Never found him.
                          I focused on her dropping the hog with one shot and didn't dwell on the lost deer as to keep her spirits up. It bugged the hell out of me, though, that I failed her. I bought a 243 for her. She anchored a doe with it last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            I let my younger daughter shoot a young buck at 80-90 yards with a 222 several years ago. She had head shot and dropped a big boar the previous evening with the same gun, shooting factory 50 gr CoreLokt ammo. The deer kicked his hind legs high and ran. I figured she heart-shot him.
                            I trailed him about 100 yards and lost the blood.
                            I had to get her back home for school the next day, but my brother and a friend trailed the deer another 150 yards the next day. Never found him.
                            I focused on her dropping the hog with one shot and didn't dwell on the lost deer as to keep her spirits up. It bugged the hell out of me, though, that I failed her. I bought a 243 for her. She anchored a doe with it last year.

I know the feeling you are talking about. It sux

Comment

Sambo, it happens to every hunter. My son shot a spike a couple of years ago with a .243, dropped in it's tracks and then started to get up. I got my Creedmoor on it to watch it flip head over butt, assumed dead deer. We tracked blood for 3 hours and never found that deer.

It an unfortunate part of hunting but everyone is going to have a hit and can't find the deer at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                                Sambo, it happens to every hunter. My son shot a spike a couple of years ago with a .243, dropped in it's tracks and then started to get up. I got my Creedmoor on it to watch it flip head over butt, assumed dead deer. We tracked blood for 3 hours and never found that deer.

It an unfortunate part of hunting but everyone is going to have a hit and can't find the deer at some point.

Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X