No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's kind of where I'm at there's no scope.
    Thanks for looking at that.
    Last edited by Hoytbowhunter; 03-25-2017, 05:49 AM.

Comment

So hunting wise is a 6.5 Creedmoore is a better caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
        So hunting wise is a 6.5 Creedmoore is a better caliber.
        thats like asking "hunting wise, is a 30 '06 a better caliber than a .300 Savage" they will both kill.

It's all in what you want, I built a Grendel mainly because I had an AR15 lower. I also use a 6.5x55 to deer hunt with so I have no need for a "full sized" 6.5. The Grendel was not really designed for bullets over 125-130 grains, the case doesn't have the room for heavier bullets in most cases and it will only do around 24-2500 fps on a good day with 125-130 grain bullets and 24" barrel, I get around 2400 fps from a 20". The creed will push 140's at 27-2800 consistently with room to spare in the case.

As is said in a previous post, accuracy aside, the Creed will outshoot the Grendel in speed and bullet weights.

Remember this, a deer at 150 yards won't know the difference between a 140 grain from a creed going 2500 fps or a 125 from a Grendel doing 2200 fps.

Just my $.02

Oh and as far as cost, don't cheap out on the barrel, trigger and scope, everything else can be mil spec. I only spent about $800 building mine. The barrel was the most expensive thing I bought for it at $450.

Comment

Any advice on specific parts to consider for a budget friendly (willing to splurge on barrel) 6.5 Grendel upper only?

I have a quality AR 15 lower with Timney trigger that shoots 10-shot dime sized groups at 109yards paired with my 5.56 upper. Wanting the be able to
          Mount a 6.5 Grendel upper with 18-20" barrel on this lower for a low recoil deer and hog option.

Comment

My grendel will put 5 in touching holes reliably at 100yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              X2 6.5 Grendel is one bad dooood!

Comment

You can't go wrong with either one. I have a Creedmoor and probably will buy a Grendel

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                  You can't go wrong with either one. I have a Creedmoor and probably will buy a Grendel
                  If you want an AR platform, that's the first cartridge I'd get (over 5.56 and 300 blk).

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                    Creed will outshoot the Grendel all around.
                    That's why we have a CM in bolt and a Grendel in the AR...love 'em both but getting partial to the Grendel! Easy on all our shoulders particularly my old beat up one!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                      That's why we have a CM in bolt and a Grendel in the AR...love 'em both but getting partial to the Grendel! Easy on all our shoulders particularly my old beat up one!!
                      You aught to try it suppressed!!!! Crosshairs barely move.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        Yep. Same here

18in Satern Barrel, Giessele SSA-E 2 stage will WEAR OUT that bullseye.

Comment

Two different beasts. I don't think the every day operator/shooter will be able to push these two platforms to their max ordinance.
                          If you HONESTLY have a place you can shoot out to 1200-2k yards on a regular basis I would be more picky.
                          If you are like most Texans where your shots are limited to under 50-200 yards then I would just pick one over the other.
                          I am running a 6.5 CM by hunting buddy Brian runs a 6.5 Grendel.
                          Both weigh about the same (running thermal optics).
                          When it comes to the accuracy. As long as the builder is semi-competent sub groups will be achievable by both guns. As long as shooter is competent getting bullet into max ordinance - tran/subsonic distances is achievable.
                          Brian and I run the exact same bullet. I am getting roughly 600 fps over his which equals flatter trajectory.
                          The distances we both hunt it really doesn't matter.

Comment

They are two different classes of cartridge. Comparing them is only as useful as comparing an AR-15 to an AR-10.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                              Two different beasts. I don't think the every day operator/shooter will be able to push these two platforms to their max ordinance.
                              If you HONESTLY have a place you can shoot out to 1200-2k yards on a regular basis I would be more picky.
                              If you are like most Texans where your shots are limited to under 50-200 yards then I would just pick one over the other.
                              I am running a 6.5 CM by hunting buddy Brian runs a 6.5 Grendel.
                              Both weigh about the same (running thermal optics).
                              When it comes to the accuracy. As long as the builder is semi-competent sub groups will be achievable by both guns. As long as shooter is competent getting bullet into max ordinance - tran/subsonic distances is achievable.
                              Brian and I run the exact same bullet. I am getting roughly 600 fps over his which equals flatter trajectory.
                              The distances we both hunt it really doesn't matter.
                              Which bullet you running?

Comment

Those of you taking about the 123 SST. I agree. I run the 120 SST in my daughters 6.8 bolt gun. They're deadly at those slower speeds. I have no experience with them out of a standard speed or magnum rifle but they work great at those slow speeds for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X