Reticle Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reticle Options

I have been looking for a new scope for a few months and have noticed two things. Scopes have gotten very expensive, and a regular hunting reticle seems almost impossible to find. What I don't understand is if most of your higher end scopes have a target/long range type turrets than why do you need a reticle to allow for hold over. Seems like that the turrets should take care of hold over and the more the reticle has on it the more it will cloud the view of the target? I have been looking for a good mid range ($700-$1,000) with a regular hunting reticle and its been impossible to find. Any suggestions on what brand and where to look. I have several Zeiss scopes but I don't think they even make a hunting reticle anymore.

I think Nikon has a good product at reasonable prices. I think the bdc reticle concept is great.

Comment

Look at the Zeiss Conquest V4 if you like Zeiss. They come in regular reticles. And in your price range.

Comment

Leupold has the VX-5HD with standard duplex reticle. About $700 if you don’t get the CDS.

Comment

Swarovski Z3

Comment

Dialing vs. holdover- it is situational dependent. If i'm at the range and shooting at known distance targets with no time constraint, then I will dial. Hunting, I will range the animal with a rangefinder (or know distances via pre-ranged landmarks), and either dial if it isn't a hurried shot, or simply holdover with the reticle when I don't have time to dial.

Come hunting season, I have a piece of thin tape around my elevation turret with the yardage marked off, rather than the mil marks on the turret. Saves a step in consulting the chart.

I almost always hold for the wind.

Comment

leupold has plenty of options in your price range with the standard duplex reticle.

Comment

I bought a brand new Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X50 from Carter’s Country yesterday. It has the standard duplex reticle. It was just a hair north of $700.

Comment

I have been debating pulling the trigger on a Tract Optics. From reading and videos scopes seem on par if not better with higher end scopes. Toric 3-15x50 is what I have had my eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                    Swarovski Z3
                    I'm a fan!

Comment

Look at the vortex scopes

Comment

Alpha tier Scopes have always been high

The tree reticle s are geared to comp shooters. They have no dial stages, you can more accurately more quickly measure misses if you can see your impact.

If you want a plain Jane duplex crosshair look at Leopolds. For comps/long range they are behind the times but for simple duplex stuff they should have what you want

Swarro is another one with typically more simple reticles but that price range might not get you what you want.
                        Last edited by catslayer; 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                          Swarovski Z3
                          ^^^^This. I purchased one from Sportoptics.com and got a great deal. Plane Jane plex reticle and superb glass. Mounted it on my Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Swede and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                            I bought a brand new Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X50 from Carter’s Country yesterday. It has the standard duplex reticle. It was just a hair north of $700.
                            I have one of these on a .270 that I use when I am not ready to lug around a heavy barreled rifle at the lease. I like it, light and compact with the 1" tube and holds zero well. I feel like the parallax adjustment is kind of cheap feeling but it works and the scope was just under 700.

Comment

This is the one I have with a regular second plane duplex reticle.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X