I need help wrapping my sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help wrapping my sausage

In all seriousness... What is the difference in casings for my sausage!? I plan to make brats mostly. We alsways used hog casings, but is there one that isn't as tough? They work well on links but I don't think they have to be as tough on brats. What about sheep or beef?

Pork & beef casing come in different sizes, you just have to pay attention to the size range...small pork 32ish MM work better for dry sausge (some call these "make-up) & bigger, 36ish MM for smoked, brats, etc. i usually don't use beef for anything except head sausage, boudin,etc, but it's personal preference.

sheep can be awful time consuming, especially if you don't have the right tools.

If your casing is tough when cooked, soak/rinse them several times to dissolve the salt & let them sit in a fresh/clean bowl of water overnight in the fridge

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRanč View Post
      Pork & beef casing come in different sizes, you just have to pay attention to the size range...small pork 32ish MM work better for dry sausge (some call these "make-up) & bigger, 36ish MM for smoked, brats, etc. i usually don't use beef for anything except head sausage, boudin,etc, but it's personal preference.

sheep can be awful time consuming, especially if you don't have the right tools.

If your casing is tough when cooked, soak/rinse them several times to dissolve the salt & let them sit in a fresh/clean bowl of water overnight in the fridge
      Awesome, thanks for the help

Comment

Now that you have what you need shut this thread down before the jokesters find it!

Comment

Originally posted by hero_moneybags View Post
          Now that you have what you need shut this thread down before the jokesters find it!

Comment

Aye aye aye

Comment

For the last few years I have bought pre-tubed casings to avoid the issues with soaking and untangling casing. A little more expensive but pays back in the ease of threading them on the stuffing horn. Particularly good for sheep casings.

Comment

Are collagen cases edible??

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
                  Are collagen cases edible??
                  Yes but thy aren't as good IMO. Don't have the snap when you break a link. I prefer the sheep guts more than anything but they are pricey as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by hero_moneybags View Post

I've always preferred Trojan casing to protect my sausage. It has a slight latex taste but once you get used to it you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      I've always preferred Trojan casing to protect my sausage. It has a slight latex taste but once you get used to it you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      What concerns me the most is how you know what they taste like

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
                        What concerns me the most is how you know what they taste like

Beat me to it . Was thinking the same thing .

Comment

being witty backfired on him, probably leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Comment

you're killing me smalls........

Comment

We've always used pork casing. Trojans could get waaayy to expensive when you're making 5,000+ lbs a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X