Middleton/Legdog Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middleton/Legdog Ribs

Just figured I'd post this since I get asked on occasion...

A good place to acquire baby back ribs is Sam's. They come in packs of three. Buy as many as your pit will hold and then some. Friends, bosses, co-workers will love you for leftovers.

After taking the membrane off the underside (work from middle with flat head screwdrivers), we coat top with French's mustard and blot into meat with paper towel. Mustard acts as a conduit for the rub to penetrate meat and is burned off in cooking. We use a varitey of rubs from Salt Lick, Earl Campbell to Barnacle Dust (a TBH product by Barnacle Bill). Honestly, IMO the rub is not as important as slow cooking (beware overly salty rubs as they dry) with occasional hickory or pecan tossed in the firebox on a mature bed of coal. We soaked hickory chunks this go round (pictured) but next time we might not... the rules are not strict.

You are taking chances with mesquite (green mesquite can creosote your pit). Save that for grilling unless you seek thrill.

We try and smoke them at 225 (not over 250) for "as long as it takes". Usually after 4 hours we wrap in foil till they pull off the bone better. If you can give yourself plenty of time, you will smoke a better rib (can't rush them like Farmdog does). Always seems like the last ribs that come off the pit are the best...

Sometimes we add a light coat of brown sugar right at the end for a tad sweeter rib.

Sometimes we mix one part honey with two parts KC Masterpiece and add at the very end for a "sticky BBQ style rib".

We have changed our recipe many times (par boiled, honey vs brown sugar, finish in oven to melt off bone, etc) but this method is pretty simple and is a crowd pleaser.

good luck!

Middleton or team rib...

Please add to this if I left something out. Gracias

If you need a guy to monitor your pit while you get your drink on, I would suggest Dave Inbody or GJ Hafernik. They have skins on the wall.
    Last edited by Legdog; 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM.

That picture rocks!

Stephen, do you ever use the full size pork ribs? I've always used them (mostly because I was a broke high school kid when dad and I got our 1st pit, and they are cheaper) and had great results, or at least as good as I've gotten with baby backs. The only downside I've found is that some require some trimming, and they don't "stack" into the pit as well due to their odd shape. The flavor however, is every bit as good...

Just food for thought......or would that be thought for food...?

Comment

Thanks for posting up. I just finished cleaning my smoker and will have to give this a try.

Comment

I think the Rib King is giving way too much credit. I'm simply a student of Legdog's technique.

As Steven mentioned, rubs are less important than cooking temp and time. As with all Q, "it's done when it's done..." I usually like to cook babyback ribs a little higher temp than briskets or butts. Somewhere around 240 is optimum.

We've tried par boiling and not par boiling, and I can't tell that either way makes a significant difference, so we've pretty much eliminated that from the equation.

We normally apply a base of mustard, but you can also use worchesteshire sauce or oil to achieve the same result.

As for rubs, I've experimented with making my own, but there are plenty of commercial rubs that I really like, so I usually go that route. The rubs I consider staples in my box are from Salt Lick, Allspaugh's, Barnacle Dust and TexasBBQrub.com.

To me, good Q should be the right combination of salt/sweet/smoke/heat, so finishing with brown sugar or a honey glaze during the last hour or so of cooking gives just the right amount of sweetness.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks for posting Leggy and Michael. Great recipe for sure! I sure could use some visual instructions on how to skin those ribs, with a screw driver . I missed it at Nanza again!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            I sure could use some visual instructions on how to skin those ribs, with a screw driver .
            X2

Comment

Me and my wife are having a rib cook off today I may have lost mine you can't pick off up because the bone pulls off and just leaves meat after three hours had it in foil it's good but it's to tender at this point. I learned a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Great recipe for sure! I sure could use some visual instructions on how to skin those ribs, with a screw driver .
                Yeah that sounds interesting. I started doing it with a butter knife and paper towels per Aaron Franklin's suggestion, and it's pretty quick and easy for me to remove the membrane now, but I sure would like to know how one does it from the middle with a screwdriver!

Comment

3-2-1 method.....Mmmmmmm

Comment

It helps to make sure they are not frozen when you begin!

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

A good read and even better eat

Comment

Working...
                        X