Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
    AH68 if you have a good year deer processing can get expensive. Therefore I have learned to do it myself. Now when I get down to needing my burger ground and my sausage mixed I will take the boned meat in a bowl with the deer tag to Cospers or any of the other ones around town and they will grind it for you for little or nothing and just charge you for the amount of beef or pork they add for fat. Now I bought myself a good grinder last year because I went through several hogs and was tired of going to the meat market. There are several good old boys around here that will help you out if you ask.
    This is interesting. I have called some of the processors before and asked them if I quatered the deer would they process and they always tell me no.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
      This is interesting. I have called some of the processors before and asked them if I quatered the deer would they process and they always tell me no.
      Lance Every year I debone my deer and hogs and take them to Cospers or M&M in Lampasas I have had no problems with either one. there has been a lot of times that I shoot the deer on Saturday Hung it in the freezer skinned after the morning hunt on Sunday and deboned it ran the meat to cospers and before I made it out for the afternoon hunt Jay would call me and tell me to come and get my deer or hog.

Comment

Also Cospers want touch a hog unless it is skinned and quartered

Comment

This has been good information. I do not have a place to hang a kill. I usually quarter it and keep it in a cooler until I get home to debone it. Last year both deer I killed in East Texas was the toughest meat I had ever eaten. Both deer got quartered up and put in a cooler. When I got home we just cut the meat off the bone, wrapped it and froze it. TOUGH TOUGH

Comment

My boys are ages 14, 7 & 5. They have NOT had hunter education and they do NOT have a hunting license. I did get them area access cards. Can they sit in a stand with me?

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
              My boys are ages 14, 7 & 5. They have NOT had hunter education and they do NOT have a hunting license. I did get them area access cards. Can they sit in a stand with me?
              Lance IAW the fort hood hunting guide pg 25
              Only one, armed hunter will be allowed on a stand. Hunters under the age of 15 years
              must be accompanied by an unarmed individual 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid Fort Hood Hunting Permit, valid State Hunting License, Area Access Permit and Hunter Education certification. Others may be accompanied only as authorized by the Sportsmen’s Center and the Game Warden Office.

If I have every had a hunter ask me if they could do this I would tell them to ask Phill or Judy and once they get permission they are good.
              By the way we get a lot of spectators every year and Phill and Judy are fair about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyHunter68 View Post
                i would like to learn how to do it myself, to me it would be more rewarding and cheaper to do it myself.

AH68, the above link is from the Sausage Maker up in Buffalo, NY. His family has been in the business for a long time. He has every recipe that I could think of listed, with ingredients and how to prepare the sausage. Great reading. If you want, I'll send you a list of links that I have found over the years that deal with sausage making.

If you want to buy the book, check out amazon, ebay or other online sites. I got mine on ebay. A lot of the stuff is nice to have, but not necessary. The key thing is to get a good meat grinder.

Comment

Chainsaw, chainsaw, chainsaw!!

Where is Ed?Haven't seen him on here lately.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
                    http://www.sausagemaker.com/71200gre...ytekkutas.aspx

AH68, the above link is from the Sausage Maker up in Buffalo, NY. His family has been in the business for a long time. He has every recipe that I could think of listed, with ingredients and how to prepare the sausage. Great reading. If you want, I'll send you a list of links that I have found over the years that deal with sausage making.

If you want to buy the book, check out amazon, ebay or other online sites. I got mine on ebay. A lot of the stuff is nice to have, but not necessary. The key thing is to get a good meat grinder.
                    ok cool, funny thing is my g-ma does not live to far from that place, shes lives in buffalo too lol

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyHunter68 View Post
                      ok cool, funny thing is my g-ma does not live to far from that place, shes lives in buffalo too lol
                      One of my stops every year when I go there to fish.

Another place online to check out is butcher-packer.com

Y'all have a good one, got some yard work to do.

Comment

One of my stops every year when I go there to fish.

Another place online to check out is butcher-packer.com

Y'all have a good one, got some yard work to do.
                        You are suppose to be getting ready for school or something like that.

Comment

Where is Ed?Haven't seen him on here lately.
                          X 2 , Ed where did you go ?? No beer updates or his live in help

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
                            You are suppose to be getting ready for school or something like that.
                            I do that when it gets hot. Yard work is meant to be done in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                              X 2 , Ed where did you go ?? No beer updates or his live in help
                              Maybe his boss has him locked up.

Comment

Maybe his boss has him locked up.
                                He hasn't posted anything since 7/24 I hope everything is OK

Comment

Working...
                                X