Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
    Yes, to much protein, and even protein powder can effect you level of Ketosis and even kick you out. Ratios of macros is important. I think you should consider IF. Eat your last meal around 7 in the evening and then fast for 16 hours. You can have some coffee in the morning or bone broth if you need help getting thru the 16 hours. Go to HIIT instead of pumping iron during your IF and you WILL see fat decreases. Good Luck

Intermittent Fasting is a great tool to use.

Comment

This is a great point. My GF struggled in the beginning and once I discovered her calories were to low, and changed her diet, she saw improved results. Taking your body into ketosis and starving it at the same time was a big mistake for her. We are all a little different.
      Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
      It happens, just get back on track and keep it going. Sometimes if you eat to much protein, they say it'll knock you out. Look over your daily intake and reevaluate your daily caloric needs. Sometimes you'll find you have to up the calories to keep the weight dropping off. Make adjustments as you see fit.

Comment

How often does one check oneself for ketosis?

Comment

That fathead pizza sure looks good. I'm gonna have to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post
            How often does one check oneself for ketosis?
            Myself, a couple times a week. However, I do get obsessive about it and do it daily sometimes. Especially after a cheat meal a cheat meal.

Comment

So I started the Keto diet Friday, a modified version at least. I believe that your carb intake is suppose to be around 5% of your diet. I have been sitting around the 10-15% range. Monday and Tuesday I felt drained of energy and was always hungry, though Wednesday and today I feel as though I have an energy boost. I am going to start adding back in working out to my routine and hope it helps the weight loss journey. I weighed about 185 Friday but that was in the afternoon, I weighed myself this morning and I am sitting at about 176.

I doubt that I will ever hit "Ketosis" with still having 10-15% carb intake but I think I am floating in and out. Just went shopping yesterday and made the house more Keto friendly, so the diet should start to improve!

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                This is a great point. My GF struggled in the beginning and once I discovered her calories were to low, and changed her diet, she saw improved results. Taking your body into ketosis and starving it at the same time was a big mistake for her. We are all a little different.
                I think this is my problem. My wife is on it and she hit her target weight (8# loss) and has started switching to low fat foods like turkey bacon, etc. I'm not getting near enough fat or calories and still have headaches, low energy, muscle cramps, joint pain, etc. after 5 weeks. Adding potassium and magnesium helped but didn't fully make it go away. Had those issues way too long and it's affecting my quality of life and making me not want to play with my kids. I don't even want to go to the deer lease right now because I'll cramp up so bad that night. I think I finally got over cramps around 3:30 this morning so running on 3 1/2 hour sleep with those other symptoms isn't going to cut it for me. I'm going to ease my body out of ketosis and be low carb and see if I feel better. I may jump back in a few weeks but going to get all my macros and be better about not eating so lean or calories restrictive as I just was. Good luck to yall who continue.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                  I think this is my problem. My wife is on it and she hit her target weight (8# loss) and has started switching to low fat foods like turkey bacon, etc. I'm not getting near enough fat or calories and still have headaches, low energy, muscle cramps, joint pain, etc. after 5 weeks. Adding potassium and magnesium helped but didn't fully make it go away. Had those issues way too long and it's affecting my quality of life and making me not want to play with my kids. I don't even want to go to the deer lease right now because I'll cramp up so bad that night. I think I finally got over cramps around 3:30 this morning so running on 3 1/2 hour sleep with those other symptoms isn't going to cut it for me. I'm going to ease my body out of ketosis and be low carb and see if I feel better. I may jump back in a few weeks but going to get all my macros and be better about not eating so lean or calories restrictive as I just was. Good luck to yall who continue.
                  Sounds like you need more sodium. Chicken broth and bone broth help. Plus salting all your food. I like the pink Himalayan salt. It has more minerals. Kosher and Sea Salt are my other choices.

I made Vietnamese egg coffee today. It's liquid Tiramisu.

Recipe can be found on youtube and Headbangers Kitchen makes a keto version. Here is the keto recipe.

Espresso coffee, you don't need a Vietnamese coffee maker for this.
                  1 egg yolk
                  1 T heavy whipping cream
                  1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
                  Splenda or sugar substitute to taste.

Make coffee and keep warm

Put other ingredients together in a bowl to mix. I use a red Solo or small bowl. Mix till light yellow color and whipped together. At least 3 min. You want this to be fluffy. Pour on top of coffee and enjoy. It should float on top.

Comment

Sounds like you need more sodium. Chicken broth and bone broth help. Plus salting all your food. I like the pink Himalayan salt. It has more minerals. Kosher and Sea Salt are my other choices.

I made Vietnamese egg coffee today. It's liquid Tiramisu.

Recipe can be found on youtube and Headbangers Kitchen makes a keto version. Here is the keto recipe.

Espresso coffee, you don't need a Vietnamese coffee maker for this.
                    1 egg yolk
                    1 T heavy whipping cream
                    1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
                    Splenda or sugar substitute to taste.

Make coffee and keep warm

Put other ingredients together in a bowl to mix. I use a red Solo or small bowl. Mix till light yellow color and whipped together. At least 3 min. You want this to be fluffy. Pour on top of coffee and enjoy. It should float on top.

I tried many ways to get salt intake up. A few times I even drank 3 - 8oz cups of broth + was using one whole mio electrolytes water enhancers a day and it still couldn't get enough. I also added potassium and magnesium pills 1x a day and it only made minimal improvements. Last night was terrible. At one point I had cramps in both quads, one hamstring, and the other calf. Little later i got one in the other calf and reached down to try to rub it out and had an abdominal cramp. That'll teach me to go on a bike ride with my kids...
                    Literally didn't go to sleep until after 3:30am. Something's not right when I've had a headache for almost the entire 5 weeks I've been on it and any physical activity sets off that type of cramping. I'll still stick under 100 carbs a day and most likely will keep it in the 20-50 range as I plan to only eat carbs at breakfast and then it's probably just going to be fruit or OJ. I'm not straying far, just need to get past this then will add (or take away) 1 thing at a time and see if I can see what triggers the cramps or headaches.

On the positive side, I did lose close to 30# in those 5 weeks.

Comment

I tried many ways to get salt intake up. A few times I even drank 3 - 8oz cups of broth + was using one whole mio electrolytes water enhancers a day and it still couldn't get enough. I also added potassium and magnesium pills 1x a day and it only made minimal improvements. Last night was terrible. At one point I had cramps in both quads, one hamstring, and the other calf. Little later i got one in the other calf and reached down to try to rub it out and had an abdominal cramp. That'll teach me to go on a bike ride with my kids...
                      Literally didn't go to sleep until after 3:30am. Something's not right when I've had a headache for almost the entire 5 weeks I've been on it and any physical activity sets off that type of cramping. I'll still stick under 100 carbs a day and most likely will keep it in the 20-50 range as I plan to only eat carbs at breakfast and then it's probably just going to be fruit or OJ. I'm not straying far, just need to get past this then will add (or take away) 1 thing at a time and see if I can see what triggers the cramps or headaches.

On the positive side, I did lose close to 30# in those 5 weeks.
                      Sorry to hear that. You may want to try carb timing. Just use carbs pre, during and post workout. I hope the cramps and headaches stop for ya. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. You may want to try carb timing. Just use carbs pre, during and post workout. I hope the cramps and headaches stop for ya. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up.
                        My plan was to have all my carbs at breakfast and none past noon but carb timing sounds like it could be worth trying too. I want to get back to working out but the way I was feeling + cramps caused me to eventually quit going.

My goal is ~50 more by this time next year. But I need to be working out to get ready for elk hunting.

Comment

Btw what site/app were y'all using to calculate your macros. I don't trust the one I used today.

Comment

On Facebook, Ketogenic success. I have used Ruled me on the web

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Btw what site/app were y'all using to calculate your macros. I don't trust the one I used today.

I use keto diet for my food and my fitness pal for weight and measurements.

Comment

Had 2 BIG keto coffees yesterday morning, one on the drive in and sipped one from 7:30 to 9:00. Was not hungry until 11:00 when I ate a 1/2lb moist at Rudy's No afternoon snacking, ran 5 miles (intervals) after work followed by a mild TRX workout. Pork chop and small caesar salad for dinner and bed by 9:30p. Drank probably 2 gallons of water yesterday too. Finally back in good ketosis and scale moved big this morning. It's gonna be a great weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X