Who eats coons .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who eats coons .....

With all the coons being caught by everyone, DOES ANYBODY EAT THEM?

We tried a couple in college! That was a couple too many! Smothered one down in onions and bell pepper and white gravy and served it over rice. Other we pressure cooked and made pulled BBQ coon sammiches! I will say once I told my parents we were eating raccoon I had pretty sweet care packages to take back to school after that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen it eaten on Tv with Andrew Zimmer the host of Bizarre Foods. It just doesn't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
        I will say once I told my parents we were eating raccoon I had pretty sweet care packages to take back to school after that!!
        That's pretty funny, right there!
        I work with an Asian guy that said he'd take all the coons I would bring him!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tried coon and possum when i was a teenager. Just some salt, pepper and butter in a skilled over a camp fire. No desire to do that again.

Comment

The only way I've ever had it and thought it was good (it really was) was bbq'd, and you dang sure better know how to cook it without drying it out. Dogs won't eat it then.

My mom tried to cook one that my grandpa sent home with my dad one time. Good Lord, talk about stinking up the house. That one wasn't eaten, by us or the dogs. I think she boiled it and tried to make like a stew or something. lol

Comment

I'd rather eat dirt.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Got to be better than 'possums--

Comment

One of Mark Twain's favorites. I've never been brave enough to try one.

Comment

Tried coon before. Cooked like a pot roast with sweet potatoes added. A little bit greasy. One bite of possum was enough.

With all the folks who could use protein out there hopefully a lot of it is given away.

Comment

Nope

Comment

I had possum with my uncle for his bucket list in 2016. It wasn’t horrible but hard to get past the fact we were eating possum.

Comment

I ordered the raccoon off the internet and got it in a big frozen solid blob. It was not until it was thawing that I realized it still had the head, paws and tail.

We had Dave and Bonnie Kenison visiting and they are always good sports and willing to try anything. The raccoon turned out to be a lot of work and a little traumatic for most everyone, because, ironically, it looked a little bit too much like a raccoon. I enjoyed it for that very reason, but was getting quite a bit of resistance and ultimately had to cut off the tail, head and feet in order to make it look more edible. It was a good lesson in presentation and how it can dramatically impact the desirability of food.

We have developed a tradition within a tradition, over the last few years, of having some unusual foods along with our traditional Thanksgiv...

This is pretty darn funny, along with the comments. I wanted to see what a cooked coon looks like and this guy didnt disappoint.
                          Attached Files

Comment

It’s fair. Tastes pretty similar to bear meat in my opinion. BBQ is the best option. Both sets of my grandparents would occasionally cook a coon, but Mom hasn’t in YEARS and I know my wife probably never will.

Another old tradition going away (that’s not always a bad thing).

I always remember my grandpa leaving a foot on them when he skinned them so whoever was buying would know it was a coon!

Comment

I heard it taste like beaver.

Comment

Working...
                              X