D-loop changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-loop changes

how often do I need to change a D-loop on my string?
    Is annually enough or what kind of wear do I look for?

I practice 2-3 times a week, sometimes once a week.

If you see fraying like these pictures (not mine) replace it.

Comment

I always replace them when fraying starts to take place. Tie in nick sets and you won’t have to worry about any tuning issues if/when you have to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I watch mine a little closer now for fraying. Release is kind of hard on the upper lip when D loop breaks....

Comment

Hoping to tag onto this thread as I haven't quite reached the 30 post minimum before I can create my own threads...

Please note I'm completely new to archery...

I went to Bass Pro in Grapevine and was told my draw length was 29". He also put me at 54# draw weight. (For what it is worth, I am 5' 9", 52" shoulders, 260 lbs, former college baseball player...I'm "stout" or "husky sized". I say this because I was told by a much smaller guy that I should be having a stronger draw weight.)

I was getting inconsistent groups at 20 and 30 yards, often within about 6" of each other at 30. I don't know what is acceptable by the community's standards, but to me, that's not good enough. I didn't grow up in a hunting environment, so I'm learning everything myself. Thank God for YouTube University and this website - y'all are fantastic.

Anyway, on my first hunt last week and practicing at camp, I decided it would be best to go to Lufkin. I determined that the inconsistency (missing in all four quadrants) was due to my draw length being too long. I never really felt the draw stop that I should have been. I mean I felt it, but it wasn't comfortable to hold it there while aiming.

The folks at Lufkin Farm Supply agreed, remeasured and sure enough, they said I was at 28". They also put me at 64#, which is harder to pull back obviously, but It's still manageable. I thought to myself after leaving I'd have to re-sight my bow. I started at 10 yds and completely missed my block low by about 8 inches. Next shot was within a 1/4" in the same spot.

All of this to ask my question: Would changing a bow's draw length 1" affect where the D string sits? Did it move it up and that's why I'm off by so much? Or would an 18% increase in draw weight, 1" less draw length and new arrows with stiffer spines create that drastic of a change in accuracy? I was thinking this before going home tonight and checking my bow for level, which will be harder as I don't have one of those special clamps.

Thanks in advance, y'all rock.

Comment

D-loop changes

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            Hoping to tag onto this thread as I haven't quite reached the 30 post minimum before I can create my own threads...

Please note I'm completely new to archery...

I went to Bass Pro in Grapevine and was told my draw length was 29". He also put me at 54# draw weight. (For what it is worth, I am 5' 9", 52" shoulders, 260 lbs, former college baseball player...I'm "stout" or "husky sized". I say this because I was told by a much smaller guy that I should be having a stronger draw weight.)

I was getting inconsistent groups at 20 and 30 yards, often within about 6" of each other at 30. I don't know what is acceptable by the community's standards, but to me, that's not good enough. I didn't grow up in a hunting environment, so I'm learning everything myself. Thank God for YouTube University and this website - y'all are fantastic.

Anyway, on my first hunt last week and practicing at camp, I decided it would be best to go to Lufkin. I determined that the inconsistency (missing in all four quadrants) was due to my draw length being too long. I never really felt the draw stop that I should have been. I mean I felt it, but it wasn't comfortable to hold it there while aiming.

The folks at Lufkin Farm Supply agreed, remeasured and sure enough, they said I was at 28". They also put me at 64#, which is harder to pull back obviously, but It's still manageable. I thought to myself after leaving I'd have to re-sight my bow. I started at 10 yds and completely missed my block low by about 8 inches. Next shot was within a 1/4" in the same spot.

All of this to ask my question: Would changing a bow's draw length 1" affect where the D string sits? Did it move it up and that's why I'm off by so much? Or would an 18% increase in draw weight, 1" less draw length and new arrows with stiffer spines create that drastic of a change in accuracy? I was thinking this before going home tonight and checking my bow for level, which will be harder as I don't have one of those special clamps.

Thanks in advance, y'all rock.

When you changed your draw length you changed your anchor point. The peep height should have changed as well and probably the existing relationship between your sight picture, peep and anchor......that’s a ton on change. Changing the draw length could cause some spine issues if you were already on the edge. Since you shortened the draw length and increased draw weight they will cancel each other out to some extent but not entirely.

As far as the draw weight thing you should shoot what’s is comfortable and gives you the best consistency. Anybody telling you otherwise should quickly be discounted as a moron.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 10-26-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

D-loop changes

Keep us posted
              Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 10-26-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

When it starts to fray, replace it. Most releases are quite capable of busting your lip, especially on an 80# bow. Don't ask how I know this...

Comment

Will do, thanks. I believe he did change the peep sight and they looked at my anchor point and gave me the ok. I might go to cinnamon Creek tomorrow...heard great reviews about them. Always nice to double check.

Edit: confirmed, peep was adjusted. Arrow placed on d loop and inside whisker biscuit passes the eye test for level. I am really believing that changing so much and moving to higher spine is the cause for drastic change.
                  Last edited by ctom87; 10-26-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                    Will do, thanks. I believe he did change the peep sight and they looked at my anchor point and gave me the ok. I might go to cinnamon Creek tomorrow...heard great reviews about them. Always nice to double check.

Edit: confirmed, peep was adjusted. Arrow placed on d loop and inside whisker biscuit passes the eye test for level. I am really believing that changing so much and moving to higher spine is the cause for drastic change.

That’s a good shop, those guys will make sure you are where you need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                      That’s a good shop, those guys will make sure you are where you need to be.

I ended up going out to sight it in and was still missing the block at 20 yds (once, but still...goes to show you how awful the groupings were.) My buddy, who's been into archery longer than I have, was there and suggest I take Bass Pro Shops up on their 30 day exchange policy.

I ended up learning a bit while there. (Remember, total beginner here.) I learned there were different types of draw stops. The Bear Cruzer G2 that I had originally bought features a draw stop that hits the cable, while the Obsession Bows Turmoil RZ has a draw stop that hits the limb and is much more noticable. I think this is really going to help my accuracy out as I am not fighting to hold the drawn position. It was sometimes a struggle. Now I just gotta get my new bow sighted in and I'll be ready to rock.

Comment

Do yourself a big favor and take your bow to cinnamon Creek and also get a couple of lessons. From what you posted this will make a huge difference in your shooting accuracy.

Comment

CTom87, sent you a pm!

Comment

Working...
                          X