X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very close

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      High 30s - low 40s I think mass pushes him closer to 140.....and definitely older than 3.5 imo.

Probably lost a little weight chasing girlfriends too.
      im going to agree with capt obvious as well since there is no way to be wrong here.

Comment

No

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's what I get:
            Age: at LEAST 4 1/2... With the thickness and droop of his lower jaw, neck line to brisket, short legs, looks a little run down (from maybe rut)... From the pics I might could get him to 5 1/2... Would need some straight up broad side pics and a good look at his face, head down eating is also a good way to judge the "loose skin" on the neck and such... You saw him live which is THE way to judge them, so I can't disagree with your aging other than I think he's older than 3 1/2...

Score:
            Width: 16
            Beams: 22/each
            Mass: 28
            1's: 11
            2's: 18
            3's: 20
            4's: 11
            Total: 148
            Add/take away from these estimates based on your live evaluation and see if it gets you where you want to be.

That is a VERY nice buck and he's no youngster... As far as body size, some deer, especially hill country deer just don't get big... My best buck ever netted 159 5/8", was 7 1/2 years old and field dressed 112 pounds! He was a runt, but sure had nice antlers...

IF you let him walk given another opportunity, I commend you and sure hope you get a crack at him next year!

Comment

I think he does

Comment

Sounds like you've already decided he isn't what you want, so go with your gut!

Comment

I’m in the 141-143 range

Pretty deer

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Here's what I get:
                    Age: at LEAST 4 1/2... With the thickness and droop of his lower jaw, neck line to brisket, short legs, looks a little run down (from maybe rut)... From the pics I might could get him to 5 1/2... Would need some straight up broad side pics and a good look at his face, head down eating is also a good way to judge the "loose skin" on the neck and such... You saw him live which is THE way to judge them, so I can't disagree with your aging other than I think he's older than 3 1/2...

Score:
                    Width: 16
                    Beams: 22/each
                    Mass: 28
                    1's: 11
                    2's: 18
                    3's: 20
                    4's: 11
                    Total: 148
                    Add/take away from these estimates based on your live evaluation and see if it gets you where you want to be.

That is a VERY nice buck and he's no youngster... As far as body size, some deer, especially hill country deer just don't get big... My best buck ever netted 159 5/8", was 7 1/2 years old and field dressed 112 pounds! He was a runt, but sure had nice antlers...

IF you let him walk given another opportunity, I commend you and sure hope you get a crack at him next year!
                    Thanks for giving me another opinion. I can agree with some of the things you mention as possibilities, but the rut hasnt really kicked off out there yet so I can take being run down from the rut out of the equation. When he first stepped out about 50 yds away, my first thought was "shooter for sure" but as I watched him work his way to the feeder and got a good look at him, I started second guessing myself. Then when two other bucks came in, both with noticeably less headgear, but bigger body frames and weight, I made my mind up to pass on him. He very well could be 4.5 but either way he should be better at 5.5 or 6.5. I know I am taking a HUGE gamble on him making it another year or two due to neighbors and all other things that could kill him but what the heck...I really have nothing to lose and a lot to potentially gain. 120" deer out there are a dime a dozen but a 140+ is a really special deer around there. It was a lot of fun to sit and watch him at 20 yards for 45 minutes and he never had a clue how close he was to dying. Thanks again for all the input and comments about this joker, I hope I see him again sometime

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      Thanks for giving me another opinion. I can agree with some of the things you mention as possibilities, but the rut hasnt really kicked off out there yet so I can take being run down from the rut out of the equation. When he first stepped out about 50 yds away, my first thought was "shooter for sure" but as I watched him work his way to the feeder and got a good look at him, I started second guessing myself. Then when two other bucks came in, both with noticeably less headgear, but bigger body frames and weight, I made my mind up to pass on him. He very well could be 4.5 but either way he should be better at 5.5 or 6.5. I know I am taking a HUGE gamble on him making it another year or two due to neighbors and all other things that could kill him but what the heck...I really have nothing to lose and a lot to potentially gain. 120" deer out there are a dime a dozen but a 140+ is a really special deer around there. It was a lot of fun to sit and watch him at 20 yards for 45 minutes and he never had a clue how close he was to dying. Thanks again for all the input and comments about this joker, I hope I see him again sometime

Figured this was in Freestone/Fairfield in your signature. Hence my mentioning of possibility of the run down deer. I see you said it was Schleicher further down in the thread...

Comment

135-138

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Figured this was in Freestone/Fairfield in your signature. Hence my mentioning of possibility of the run down deer. I see you said it was Schleicher further down in the thread...
                          Ya, the place we hunt out there is off 2084 about 3 miles north of Hwy 190.

Comment

Nice deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                              Nice deer!
                              Have you seen him this year?

Comment

I got a 10 that looks a lot like him, went 132 5/8. But yours has longer G4’s. He’ll be close

Comment

Working...
                                X