Buzzards in Deer Stand - Clean Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzzards in Deer Stand - Clean Up

Just got back from the lease, and the front flap on my deer stand had fallen off. Looks like a buzzard raised her babies in there. Feathers and buzzard feces wer everywhere. The smell was nauseating and it was just a digusting mess. I fixed the broken flap, but not sure how to clean up and ideally sanitize it. I can sweep out the crap, but the smell is overpowering. I thoght about sprayimg a diluted bleach and water solution all over the inside, or Lysol it. Then I thought this close to the start of deer season I hate to spray something that might make deer shy away from the blind. Does anyone know of anyway to sanitze my blind wwitout using a non-toxic/chemical smell, short of burning it down.

At a minimum, you need a respirator, and gloves when you're cleaning it.

google Histoplasmosis if you want to be encouraged to light that match.

Just about any biocide will clean it up, but it won't be pleasant.

Don't use bleach - it's mostly water anyway.

I like this stuff, we use it on the dead body funk -

Microcide SQ is a hospital grade cleaner ideal for disinfecting, cleaning and deodorizing surfaces that have been soiled by birds and bird droppings.

Comment

We have had it happen a few times. And the only way I’ve gotten it to smell half way decent is a strong concentration of bleach and dish soap and cut out any carpet you may have in the blind and replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hate to say but would burn it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dont worry about some odor from cleaning agents screwing up the deer movement.......it might, for a day but thats about it.

Comment

As said above, use a combination of bleach and some dish soap, the smell of bleach will be gone in a day or so.

Comment

a few years ago I was riding 4 wheeler and saw buzzard on top of a tall stand we have I had a 22 with me and shot it, it fell on top of stand......then I thought to myself....what a stupid thing to do...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                a few years ago I was riding 4 wheeler and saw buzzard on top of a tall stand we have I had a 22 with me and shot it, it fell on top of stand......then I thought to myself....what a stupid thing to do...lol
                Hate to be Jr Game warden but I’d change the species in your post. As for the OP I’d clean it really good and let it sit for. Couple weeks

Comment

Wooden stand burn it. We have Monarch stands at the company lease we take the stand down laynit on its side cut out the plywood bottom and power wash the sh.. out of them install new plywood and carpet and stand it back up. Takes three guys about 4 hours.

Comment

Is it a bow stand? If so, you've got a great cover scent... Sorry, all I got.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                      Hate to be Jr Game warden but I’d change the species in your post. As for the OP I’d clean it really good and let it sit for. Couple weeks
                      you cant shoot them? I did not realize!! lol

Comment

My uncle and 2 cousins were hospitalized with lung issues after coming back from the lease. They were cleaning out a blind that had bird poop. Be careful and wear your PPE.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          you cant shoot them? I did not realize!! lol
                          Federal offense to shoot buzzards, hawks, owls. Just about anything that is not a game bird.

Comment

Be very careful and wear a respirator!
                            My neighbor almost died from cleaning out a blind that an owl nested in.
                            We've got an old blind now that a buzzard nested in and I won't touch it, and neither will he. It's an old blind anyway and one we don't use. We would burn it if we could, but that doesn't look like it will be possible.

Comment

good to know...glad it was a joke

Comment

Working...
                              X