food plots and misc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

food plots and misc...

What do you successful food plot creators recommend planting this time of year? I know its rather late but just now acquired the property to do it on.
    Not very good access to supplemental water either ... yet.

In my part of the country plant protein pellets in those 2000lb food plots. Allseaon make sure a good food plot and lysey eckel is a good seed

Comment

Assuming you have plantable fields of decent size, soybeans, or cowpeas along with sunflowers are options. Joint vetch is terrific plant and can be planted now but it is a longer term plant to consider .If small fields less than 3 acres might be better off waiting to fall.

Or...plant those pellets in that 2000lb plot

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
        What do you successful food plot creators recommend planting this time of year? I know its rather late but just now acquired the property to do it on.
        Not very good access to supplemental water either ... yet.
        A lot of moving parts to your question. I'm a more or less successful food plotter and found myself seeking advice from a better one (el gato) only last night.

It depends on your location, your soil type, your deer density, your goals for the plot, how much time you can dedicate to it, what equipment you have, and how much you want to spend. And I'm probably leaving something out.

We are about to get into the hot weather-not much rain season, so I might concentrate on getting a soil test, tilling in lime if needed, and otherwise preparing for a fall plot.

If you have the time, read up on the various food plot profiles on the QDMA website. This will give you some general ideas as to what you can grow in your location. It will probably give you some specific questions to ask. Good luck !

Comment

Gonna get awful dry here soon, and them hogs will be moving around alot. They got me two days ago, so if you got hogs be careful. Reckon you could try a small plot in a wet area somewheres. Might be better off and put you a protein plot up and prep your food plot for the fall, maybe get you a soil sample too.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            Gonna get awful dry here soon, and them hogs will be moving around alot. They got me two days ago, so if you got hogs be careful. Reckon you could try a small plot in a wet area somewheres. Might be better off and put you a protein plot up and prep your food plot for the fall, maybe get you a soil sample too.
            yes, I'm taking into account that any rain from here on to fall will be minimal, is why I put in that my supplemental water is limited. There is a creek and I could haul water but would all be by hand application. Ugggghhh !

Comment

I wouldn't try and plant anything now. Just prep your areas for fall plots and summer plots for next year by taking your soil samples and adding lime as needed so it can mix in the soil for a few months. I limed last summer and planted clover and turnips in Oct and it worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                I wouldn't try and plant anything now. Just prep your areas for fall plots and summer plots for next year by taking your soil samples and adding lime as needed so it can mix in the soil for a few months. I limed last summer and planted clover and turnips in Oct and it worked great.
                yeah, very true. I wish the land purchase had been a couple months ago, for a lot of reasons. Some sunflowers may be OK now but that's about it I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X