Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short (5-6') packable ladder stand ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short (5-6') packable ladder stand ideas?

I'll be spending a little time in the Sam Houston NF later this season, including a trip planned with a couple friends during the rifle season. Where I'm going to take them, a 5 or 6 foot ladder stand would be super useful - just enough to get up over the young saplings in the open pine stands.

Going to be in a ways, and I'm trying to think of packable solutions for this. Honestly, one set of climbing sticks and a hang-on would probably suffice, but surely there is a design for something I could lean up against a tree that gets my head and shoulders above the brush?

Any ideas?

Just use the top section of a standard ladder?

Should also fit in the Ridgeline!
    Last edited by Razorback01; 11-03-2015, 07:21 AM. Reason: Add

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      Just use the top section of a standard ladder?

Should also fit in the Ridgeline!
      Everyone's a comedian.

I have thought about just using part of an aluminum ladder and mounting a small platform and seat to it, but I want something I can fold or break down into sections to carry in. I can't believe someone hasn't come up with a solution for this. Short ladder stands would be very useful in a lot of places in E. Texas.

Comment

why dont you use one of them werner multiposition ladders....only like 20#

Comment

Thought of that, but that's really more than I think is needed.

Guess I'm going to saw the back off a 6' ladder, bolt a small platform to it, and see how that works. I may put some hinges and latches on it and see if I can get it to fold down to a 3' piece that can be backpacked.

In many areas on the NF, there are open pine stands with sweetgum/yaupon saplings coming up underneath. The saplings are 4-5' tall. If a person can just get above those, they can see the whole area but standing on the ground you can't see squat. If you get any higher, then you stick out like a sore thumb on one of those telephone pole pines. But if you could just sit at the height of the tops of those saplings, that would be ideal for a rifle stand.

Years ago, I would see these short ladder stands all the time. I guess they aren't in fashion anymore?

Comment

leave off one of the sections

Comment

Good option. Thanks.

Comment

leverage speed ladder. you can buy at ****'s i thing. Sportsmans guide is cheaper. it is a telescoping adjustable ladder and weighs about 38 lbs. It would be awesome to use on public land

Comment

I have a 15' ladder and just take one 5' section off or 2 if needed. why not just take a light climber and use it ?

Comment

Why not use a climbing stand? Easy to carry on your back and could easily get up 5'-8' without making hardly any noise.

Comment

I am looking for short stand options for two buddies of mine. Neither of them have any deer hunting experience, but that's why I'm taking them. They want to learn. And neither of them are going to want to mess with a climber or even a hang-on but if I can put up a ladder and say "sit on this" they will be fine.

I have been looking at some of the expandable ladders on Amazon, and I'm going to get one and put a platform with a hinge on it and supports, then ratchet-strap it to a tree and see how it does. They can put their feet on a rung. I think it will work great, but I could be completely wrong. But hey, that's how you learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X