Aransas Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas Wildlife Refuge

what's the process to get in?? deadline, cost, how many days is it... really looking to go just moved to the victoria, tx area and i don't have a lease and haven't been able to find one so any help would be appreciated.

Call them! Everytime I've called they've been more than helpful and nice on the phone.
    Or go to the website and it will give you all the info you need to hunt there.
    It's a very different type of hunting---lots of snakes----water mocassins and rattlers. But tons of deer!
    I've been a couple of times and it's been fun.

Comment

My experience - some deer (I must not be hunting in the best places like Pat), lots of snakes and even more mosquitoes.

Usually really warm or downright hot during the bow season.

Comment

seems to be a theme going...i've heard a lot about the mosquitos i'm still wanting to go though...just need to find a few other suckers.. i mean guys to tough it out with me

Comment

I saw at LEAST 100 hogs in the middle of the day there on Friday hanging out by Hwy 35 on freshly burned grass pasture.

Comment

just counting the days.....seems like this is going to be only deer hunting opportunity this year unless i go to a day lease... i haven't found a new lease yet....

Comment

Has anyone heard the dates yets? Approx. 120 days and counting....

Comment

I spoke with Chris Lesser the Hunt Director this last week and the Archery Hunt this year will start on Sept 29. At least this puts all the scouting before the archery season opens and doesn't take away any hunting days from the deer lease to scout on the Refuge. You just have to sign up for the hunt(June-Sept).

Bowtech there is going to be an IBEP course taught on the Refuge on Sept 15-16th with scouting and stand placement allowed each day after class. Its a good way to learn a lot about the ins and outs of hunting the Refuge.

Comment

i'll have to attend that....

Comment

I spoke with Chris Flinn today he said that the IBEP class is still a go as far as he knows. He was told that the paper work for the hunt will probably not be out until July or August. And that Chris at the refuge had been receiving alot of calls from hunters. He is doing everything he can but I think someone above him is not doing their job. I was asked to put this information out and to ask for us not to call Chris right now about the hunt. Thanks

Comment

Buckstop and I hunted there two years ago. I shot a doe on that trip. It was truely an experience. The mosquitoes are unbelieveable. Buy a Thermacell and you will be fine. I saw more rattle snakes on that trip than I have ever seen in my life!!!!!(including TV, Magazines & stories!!!!) Did I mention the snakes!!!! Buy snake boots or chaps.
                      The staff was very helpful. Make sure you tag your game properly, because the game wardens hangout at the gate.

Comment

I've got my applications on their way to me. I called other day to check and they said they would go out in July sometime. They will mail you multiple apps at once for you and your buddies.

Comment

Tuesday I called Charles Holbrook the Refuge Director and he re-confirmed the hunt dates the Hunt Director had given me earlier. Its the first week of bow season and they should be pretty close to getting the hunt packets in the mail.

Comment

Chris, glad to see your still alive! I won't be making it this year. This is definitely an adventure of a hunt, for those of you who need a challenge!

Comment

Thanks Coach! But any bow season above ground is a good one....

I sure wish you could make the hunt because you're a pretty good hog drag'er....

Comment

Working...
                              X