No announcement yet.

Those of you who've had luck on public land, let me pick your brains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't have a super secret game plan when it comes to public hunting. To me it's the same as hunting anywhere else. You have to find a good spot, you have to have a good wind, you have to be where the deer are, or want to be, and you have to be where the fewest amount of people are. Regardless of hunting a lease or public land the plan of attack is generally the same. Get in a hidden spot and sit still and watch.

Comment

IMHO, Public Land deer are some of the smartest animals you will ever try to outwit. They have seen just about every trick and are hunted daily in some areas of the state.

Comment

I also think most Mature bucks are nocturnal about 90% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
          Border patrol likes to parks at the entrance to #1 and watch the hwy overnight. Not saying they are always there, but the fact that they could show up at anytime I think would deter a thief.
          Thought of this, and it's actually my best option so far. Doesn't hurt that I trained with BP back in the early 90's.

Hoping one of them would keep an eye on my rig for me.

Comment

Originally posted by G MONEY View Post
            I also think most Mature bucks are nocturnal about 90% of the time.
            Agreed.

Comment

Hunting mid day during the week.....now that is on top of using topographic maps and aerial maps to find funnels, corners and pinch points.....Know your food....deer eat a wide variety of foods....Know what they are, where they are and when they are available.....Deer live off their stomachs

Comment

Working...
              X