Blood Trail and fat content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood Trail and fat content

3 out of the 4 deer I killed this year had no blood trail. All 4 deer were good hits either heart lung or lung hits. All were recovered within 30 yards and all were killed with magnus stinger 125 gr. 4 blade broadheads with complete pass through. I know that these broadheads don't leave the best blood trails but I have used them for years and I have never had this happen. All the deer were noticeably fatter than in previous years. I have come to the conclusion that the fat was sealing up the wound and not leaving a trail. I would find blood where I hit them and when I found them they would be laying in a big pool.
    Thoughts?

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
    3 out of the 4 deer I killed this year had no blood trail. All 4 deer were good hits either heart lung or lung hits. All were recovered within 30 yards and all were killed with magnus stinger 125 gr. 4 blade broadheads with complete pass through. I know that these broadheads don't leave the best blood trails but I have used them for years and I have never had this happen. All the deer were noticeably fatter than in previous years. I have come to the conclusion that the fat was sealing up the wound and not leaving a trail. I would find blood where I hit them and when I found them they would be laying in a big pool.
    Thoughts?
    Bingo...................

Rwc

Comment

Yep

Happens on hogs a lot

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

You are correct. Now change your broadheads, and get something that makes a bigger hole/slash/carnage

Comment

Makes me wan't to get a more aggressive broadhead or something

Comment

Thought this was a thread callin Leon fat...

was ready to watch a war!

Comment

Big blades have issues as well. I hit my first deer with a Wasp Jak-Hammer. Deer piled up in sight, and I could see a 2' wide blood trail on each side of where he ran.

I got down.......no blood. I climbed back up......blood. I shot a judo point in the middle of the blood strip. It was super fine droplets from high pressure spray. Up close it was hard to see, at a distance.....massive.

Comment

He once had a heck of a beard but I'm not sure of his fat content...

Comment

This deer weighed 186 lbs and had lots of fat on him. The Rage Hypodermic did the job though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      This deer weighed 186 lbs and had lots of fat on him. The Rage Hypodermic did the job though

holy hatchet wound batman!!!! #I<3Rage

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Them Hypo's are no joke

Comment

I may be switching to DRT.
                          I've been using heads like the magnus for many many years I've never run into this even on hogs.

Comment

"All recovered within 30 yards." I wouldn't change broadheads if you are having success with them and have for years.

Comment

Working...
                            X