There goes the neighborhood . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There goes the neighborhood . .

Started with one by the creek and now they are spread out over the upper ridge . . Melanistic? . .

looks like it to me, but im no expert

Comment

Always cool looking. Lived at Lake Hamilton years ago and almost every squirrel in the neighborhood was some shade of black or silver.

Comment

I was on a lease at junction w a creek running thru it. Pecan trees everywhere. There were hundreds of black fox squirrels. I always called them black squirrels

Comment

They still eat good!

Comment

Neat.

Comment

We call them rock squirrels

Comment

I have a couple of them at my place

Not far from you as the crow flies

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                  We call them rock squirrels
                  Different animal... The one's pictured are tree-dwellers... the Rock Squirrels indeed live among the rocks in the hill country and west Texas as well as some of the mountain states and are not tree dwellers... they can also be a lot bigger... Though I never tried eatin' a rock squirrel, I heard they were not good table-fare... The ones pictured are excellent table fare!! Best thing in the world to make a pot of dumplin's with!!

Comment

You got a problem with diversity?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      You got a problem with diversity?

Nope . . Never had one try to rob me . .
                      Squirrels, that is . .

Comment

What do you mean “THEY are spread out?!”

Comment

Read an article about these a few years ago. The black form is melanistic and can occur in both fox and gray (cat) squirrels. Tends to be rare but in localized areas, their numbers can increase due to breeding individuals passing on the gene. Pretty cool critters and yes, they do eat the same....

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                            Read an article about these a few years ago. The black form is melanistic and can occur in both fox and gray (cat) squirrels. Tends to be rare but in localized areas, their numbers can increase due to breeding individuals passing on the gene. Pretty cool critters and yes, they do eat the same....
                            I've seen lots of black fox squirrells, but never a black cat squirrell. There used to be some solid white ones in the edge of Henderson in a little creek bottom. I saw them several times years ago and they were cat squirrells. Interesting stuff....

Comment

Only black squirrels Ive seen are fox, never any cats. Have lots of them on our place in Angelina County. Cool looking critter, and taste mighty fine coming out of a grease bath!

Comment

Working...
                              X