Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works From Home

Who does it?

While I do, and I hate traffic, I miss having an office to go to.

I never take lunch, I tend to put in more hours then I need to, and when the wife comes home, I'm looking for an excuse to get out of the house.

Today was the first day all week, I could have made an afternoon dove hunt, but it rained. Will take the rain, but dang, I really wanted to go.

What's your thoughts on working from?

I work from home 2-3 days a week and I am in the field (rental house reno) checking on my subs the rest of the time. I find it hard to stay motivated sometimes, which is surprising because I thought there would be less distraction outside of the office setting.

Comment

Just starting this adventure now. Really looking forward to a break from the corporate office but worried I will miss parts of it after a while.

Comment

Been doing it 35 years. Got to take breaks from the day. Wife and I eat lunch out every day.
        We both take walks.

Love it................

Comment

I do on occasion. Too many distractions at home though, or wind up putting in a lot of extra hours.

Comment

I don’t think I could do it. Too many distractions for me! My mother begged for years to get to work from home, they finally let her and she last less than six months. Now she works Monday and Friday at home and goes to the office Tuesday-Thursday.

Comment

I did it for a few months. Some days were great, others not so much. I'm back to office full time for now.

Things I liked -
              - No traffic or commute to deal with
              - Breaks were easier to come by
              - Stepping out of house to run an errand was no issue
              - Forced to eat lunch at home (definitely cheaper)

Things I disliked
              - Missed some of the social interaction you get in an office environment
              - Tough to stay motivated some days
              - Too many distractions at home; almost felt like I needed to be doing house work too
              - Less separation between work and home life
              - Some days I probably worked more hours
              - Communication was more difficult; sometimes it's just easier to go talk to the person 10 feet away from you

To be honest, the best imo is a little of both. Office 2-3 days, home 1-2 days, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                I did it for a few months. Some days were great, others not so much. I'm back to office full time for now.

Things I liked -

- No traffic or commute to deal with

- Breaks were easier to come by

- Stepping out of house to run an errand was no issue

- Forced to eat lunch at home (definitely cheaper)

Things I disliked

- Missed some of the social interaction you get in an office environment

- Tough to stay motivated some days

- Too many distractions at home; almost felt like I needed to be doing house work too

- Less separation between work and home life

- Some days I probably worked more hours

- Communication was more difficult; sometimes it's just easier to go talk to the person 10 feet away from you

To be honest, the best imo is a little of both. Office 2-3 days, home 1-2 days, etc.

^ This here! Work from home 2-3 days a work. Office 2-3 days a week. Perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I work from the house when I am not traveling. I used to love it when I traveled 2-3 times a month. The travel has tapered off and I am not loving it so much anymore. Very hard to have a good work/life balance when you know something needs to be done and your office is down the hall. I also do not like that some weeks I may only leave the house to take a walk or go out to dinner. I miss the interaction with friends at the office as well. At this point I consider my dogs co-workers. And they all have bad ideas and are too loud when UPS comes by!

It definitely helps during deer season though, as long as I can get decent 4G I can work out extended stays at the lease!

Comment

I've done it for the last 5 or 6 years. I like it for most of the reasons already mentioned. Also makes it easy to get kids to school, practice, games, etc... I missed the office at first but now I'm not sure I'd go back. Safer too. Seems everyone now is looking to make a buck if anyone says hello #metoo

Comment

Got the best of both. Work out of the house office/ garage shop. Residential Lawn Service so we get to get out and pound some neighborhoods and be outdoors during the day playing. When we are at home we are doing invoicing, billing, answer phones and admin stuff, so it is a sweet balance. Did I mentioned We picked a seasonal business that would be slow during hunting season. It also works well with spring rain outs for crappie fishing and hog hunting, fall rain outs for dove hunts. We just recently kicked off a small organic biz that will be totally home based in the beginning so we will see what happens with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X