No announcement yet.

Ruger American Predator .308 Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, but no, I don't have a bipod. My last session was all from a lead sled. Before that, I was using sand bags under the fore end of the stock.

Comment

Glad that Ruger is taking care of the problem. Hope the issues with the rifle were unknown to the original owner.

Comment

What scope and mounts and did ou try a different scope?

Comment

The Predator version prefers lite weight projectiles. Try a 115 gr

Comment

Sounds like Ruger did some quick QA measuring and found the problem. Good product warranty service.

Comment

That kind of customer service will definitely make me consider ruger in the future.

Comment

Great to hear. I have been looking at a RA to set up as a night time rig for pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm interested to hear how the new rifle does. I'm considering the same rifle.

Comment

I guess Ruger didn't tell you the problem they identified?

Comment

Having a similar issue with a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 25-06 I bought new. Almost same story, groups aren't as bad as these, but these guns are guaranteed sub moa with a 3 shot group, and this gun hasn't come close after doing there recommended break in and trying 5 different kinds of ammo. Got the RA and shipping label, gun is going back to Weatherby tomorrow. Guess we'll find out how there customer service is.

Comment

After the barrel gets just a little warm we're talking about 4-5inch groups.

Comment

I have a RAP in 5.56. It is very picky on where you place the sandbags under the forend. The closer you bag it near the trigger guard, the better it shoots. I have heard this from others on this forum. Hope your replacement shoots good. Update when you get some ammo through it.

Lone Wolf, my 25-06 in a Tikka T3 lite wouldn't shoot til I ran almost 50 rounds through it. Then all of a sudden it shoots lights out. Not sure what was going on, but it was my second range trip with it, and if it didn't shoot straight, I was going to escalate. Turned out ok though. Hope your Vangard comes back fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                            I guess Ruger didn't tell you the problem they identified?
                            No, they didn't give me a lot of detail:
                            "After a careful examination of the above referenced firearm, we find it necessary to replace it at no charge."

I'll come back and update this thread when I get the new rifle out to the range. Hopefully, I'll be posting some much better groups.

It might be a little while, though. I just got an e-mail update this morning. Due to a seasonal factory shutdown, the new rifle is expected to ship by 9/13.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                              I have a RAP in 5.56. It is very picky on where you place the sandbags under the forend. The closer you bag it near the trigger guard, the better it shoots. I have heard this from others on this forum. Hope your replacement shoots good. Update when you get some ammo through it.

Lone Wolf, my 25-06 in a Tikka T3 lite wouldn't shoot til I ran almost 50 rounds through it. Then all of a sudden it shoots lights out. Not sure what was going on, but it was my second range trip with it, and if it didn't shoot straight, I was going to escalate. Turned out ok though. Hope your Vangard comes back fixed.
                              I appreciate it. Well it's actually my son's first rifle, he saved up $$ from mowing grass, and we picked out the caliber and rifle together, so he's been kinda bummed about it. We've been to the range twice, and the two factory loads it seems to like are the Hornady superformance and Federal Premium Sierra Gameking. It will put two tight and then the third offs 3 inches, then it's all over the place, like the barrel get's just a little warm and it starts throwing 5 inch groups.

Comment

I have the same rifle for my son (12). It does a little better than MOA with 165 Nosler Accubonds. The shorter barrel means a little less velocity so clicking a little under 2600 FPS with them, but plenty to get the job done and hits where you aim them.

Comment

Working...
                                X