Long range scopes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range scopes?

I want to get more comfortable shooting at 300-500yds with my 300 win mag. Hunting in East Tx most of my life, I really never had to take many shots over 200 yds so I've never had the optics or the practice to shoot longer. I've had the opportunity to hunt more places over the last several years where many 300-500yd shots present themselves so I want to get a better scope. With that being said, if a man is on a budget of $600 or less, what is the best bang for my buck on long range scope? I realize nothing high end is going to sell for that amount. I will probably be listing one of my shotguns to fund a new scope so I am only looking at spending $600 tops. Thanks

Check out athlon
    Prob best bang for your buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
      Check out athlon

I saw them on Academy's website but had never heard of them. I'll check them out

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        I saw them on Academy's website but had never heard of them. I'll check them out

Check camera land web sight they run some good deals if you keep an eye on their site

Comment

There was a sale running on Athlon Ares BTRs for $600. I think it may have ended though. If I was you, I would look at that or the Athlon Midas TAC.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
            There was a sale running on Athlon Ares BTRs for $600. I think it may have ended though. If I was you, I would look at that or the Athlon Midas TAC.
            Thanks. Definitely will check those out.

Comment

Bushnell DMR

Comment

I like my Vortex.

I believe Arrowsmith is a dealer.

Comment

I have a Leupold VX3i in 6.5-20x50. Still has the wrapper on it. PM me if interested.

Comment

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but save up a little longer and look for a used night force scope. Try to find a 8-32 NSX, it will be the last scope you will buy.
                    Good luck in your decision.

Comment

Vortex HST 6/24/50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get on Snipershide and do some reading. Particularly in the optics section and the skills section. I know this is going to sound negative to some people on here, but don’t ask hunters who don’t shoot long range for opinions on long range optics. Some folks are just not well informed. One person above suggested a DMR, and one suggested a Nightforce, both good choices if configured correctly with mil turrets and a mil reticle. You want a First Focal Plane scope. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You want your wind holds in your reticle to be the same no matter what magnification you are set on. You do not get this with a 2nd Focal Plane scope. Spend some time learning mils, how to dial, how to determine what to dial, etc..... I’ll be happy to help you with anything you have questions about.

Also, the optics classifieds section on Snipershide is a gold mine. It can save you hundreds of dollars.
                        Last edited by Trevor73402; 04-08-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          Get on Snipershide and do some reading. Particularly in the optics section and the skills section. I know this is going to sound negative to some people on here, but don’t ask hunters who don’t shoot long range for opinions on long range optics. Some folks are just not well informed. One person above suggested a DMR, and one suggested a Nightforce, both good choices if configured correctly with mil turrets and a mil reticle. You want a First Focal Plane scope. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You want your wind holds in your reticle to be the same no matter what magnification you are set on. You do not get this with a 2nd Focal Plane scope. Spend some time learning mils, how to dial, how to determine what to dial, etc..... I’ll be happy to help you with anything you have questions about.

Also, the optics classifieds section on Snipershide is a gold mine. It can save you hundreds of dollars.
                          Thanks for the advice. I'm a rookie when it comes to this so I have a lot to learn. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                            Check out athlon

Have to agree! Athlon is great! The Argos btr is my recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I have a trade in the works for a NIB Meopta Meopro 6.5-20×50. I've read tons of reviews and it seems to be good glass. It will definitely get my foot in the door to learn how to shoot at longer distances

Comment

Working...
                              X