Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
    Safeguard Dewormer pellets (green and yellow 10 pound bag found at TSC) treats 50 head (generously figuring 200 pounds each body weight) of deer with each 10 pound package for around $50-$60 depending on where you get it. They only have to eat it one day to be treated and same active ingredient as in the pic above but at far greater potency. (16x greater)
    I spent just over $100 and mixed in 2 bags (20 pounds) with a ton of feed and figured it will do just fine. A lot cheaper than the above $800/ton and should be just as effective.

The Fenbendazole in SafeGuard pellets is 16X more concentrated than in the feed above, so only 3 ounces of pellets needed to treat each deer...and they only have to eat that once to be treated.

I concentrated it within a few bags of feed at the bottom of the hopper so they are guaranteed to get it within approximately's a week's time.....

Maybe BS science in my head, but to me a greater success rate at a far cheaper price and the deer dont have to get used to a different feed for a whole ton.

The difference to me and the way deer eat at feeders would be you could end up with a small sample of your deer eating the 10lbs basically wasting some on the small number that eat it and completely missing others. Feeding over larger weight consumption will get more deer in on it. Mixing the 10 lbs in large quantities of other feed you would get a dose that is too spread out to be effective. Normally a wormer dose in livestock you want it applied within 48 hours or so if not immediate.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      The difference to me and the way deer eat at feeders would be you could end up with a small sample of your deer eating the 10lbs basically wasting some on the small number that eat it and completely missing others. Feeding over larger weight consumption will get more deer in on it. Mixing the 10 lbs in large quantities of other feed you would get a dose that is too spread out to be effective. Normally a wormer dose in livestock you want it applied within 48 hours or so if not immediate.
      Totally makes sense.... Just not worth an extra $300/ton for me to do it that way. To each his own.

Comment

Totally makes sense.... Just not worth an extra $300/ton for me to do it that way. To each his own.

For sure who knows if much of anything we do helps as much as we think it does. Well just keep burning them $100s trying to keep up with Smart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
          There is a BIG difference in "Medicated" and "DeWormer" feed they are NOT the same.

Medicated contains CTC and is illegal unless a veterinarian gives a prescription.
          Dewormer is a commonly used to feed all deer and is NOT illegal.

Sorry for the mis-usage of words. I think we all meant the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
            There is a BIG difference in "Medicated" and "DeWormer" feed they are NOT the same.

Medicated contains CTC and is illegal unless a veterinarian gives a prescription.
            Dewormer is a commonly used to feed all deer and is NOT illegal.
            We incorporate CTC and dewormer depending on time of year. This is in Mexico though.

Comment

Talked to Charles at L&E Sat in Llano. As soon as the deer start hitting the protein again, gonna feed medicated L&E to them.

Comment

If that's the case, then cost would be the only downside.

Years ago I raised European boars for sale to game ranches. Had some feed companies try to convince me on the medicated feed by the ton. My local vet told me not to waste my money and to go with Safeguard twice a year. He said it's cheap and does the trick and impossible to overdose. I did and weight gain skyrocketed almost immediately. Made me a believer in SafeGuard for my application then. Hopefully it will benefit the deer at my feeder in similar ways. Guess we shall see.
                I mixed 5 lbs with 50 lbs of rice bran at my two spots on the lease. I will do this again at the end of April and probably every off season trip until deer season. I’ll spend a lot less this route hopefully it’s effective.

Comment

Mixed some MG Dewormer with Antlermax during our last protein fill..

Interested to see if we notice any results.

Comment

Put out some medicated L&E today, expect to see results tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                      Put out some medicated L&E today, expect to see results tomorrow.
                      Lol... good luck! It's done awesome for us!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Going into Llano in the morning to get some. Deer have been hitting the protein good for the last couple of weeks. Gonna try some now.

Comment

I should have a bunch of worm-free whitetail, mule deer, and coons about now out west!

Comment

I always wormed my cattle with a little Basic H soap in their water tank. Cleans em' up and cleans em' out! All Natural' I think it is anyways.

Comment

bump.....

Comment

You're all feeding it free choice . . .? Medication isn't designed to be free choice. How are you preventing overdoses? These drugs like ivermectin are really toxic if you are exposed to too much, and drugs like fenbendazole are teratogenic in pregnant animals that eat more than a safe amount, causing deformities and/or miscarriages.

Comment

Working...
                                X