No announcement yet.

Strange Finds in the Woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is off topic of Texas land but when I was in Okinawa a couple buddies and i did a "Tunnel Rats" tour of old Japanese Army tunnels used to fight during the invasion of Okinawa. Just running my hand through the dirt of one of the caves/tunnels I found an old grenade head assembly that had exploded. I placed it in my pocket; it's displayed in my office. It was from an old MKII pineapple grenade.
    Last edited by More Liberty; 03-23-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I've found several old graves in the woods. Usually piled over with rocks.

I also stumbled upon some.....strange plants.... hanging on a line to dry out a few years ago. Walked away and acted like I never saw that!

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
        I know this is off topic of Texas land but when I was in Okinawa a couple buddies and i did a "Tunnel Rats" tour of old Japanese Army tunnels used to fight during the invasion of Okinawa. Just running my hand through the dirt of one of the caves/tunnels I found an old grenade head assembly that had exploded. I placed it in my pocket; it's displayed in my office. It was from an old MKII pineapple grenade.
        Dang. Wish I'd known about that when I was there. Spent about 6 months on Oki (Camp Schwab) but left for korea for a couple months too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Dang. Wish I'd known about that when I was there. Spent about 6 months on Oki (Camp Schwab) but left for korea for a couple months too.
          It was a cool tour. When I was in Europe I went to Point DuHoc in Normandy where the US Rangers scaled those massive cliffs. The cement bunkers and concrete gun emplacements are still there. I had to take a small chip of concrete from a bunker.

Comment

I saw a Black panther, walked right up (10 ft.)on it, sleeping under a cedar in Colin county. Also walked up on a really big Tom mnt Lion also in collin ct same year. He had just caught a rabbit and was eating it..
            I also have extensive collection of pottery shards I have found here in desert southwest found while bowhunting Oryx and aoudad..

Comment

Originally posted by dave kaden View Post
              I saw a Black panther, walked right up (10 ft.)on it, sleeping under a cedar in Colin county. Also walked up on a really big Tom mnt Lion also in collin ct same year. He had just caught a rabbit and was eating it..
              I also have extensive collection of pottery shards I have found here in desert southwest found while bowhunting Oryx and aoudad..
              Was that panther over by Princeton? I heard they like to drink MD 20/20 and sometimes pass out under cedars over yonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelmat View Post
                Me and my daughter got out of the tree stand after the morning hunt this past season and walked around the area a little bit. Had just got on this lease at the end of the summer and hadn't seen much of it. About 40 yards from the stand we found a concrete trough in the ground above the creek. About 2ft. wide and maybe 10 ft. long. Appeared to be about 4 ft. deep maybe deeper. Hard to tell with all the leaves and debris in it. One of the sides is caving in so we didn't mess with it too long. Been there for quite a few years apparently. Have no idea what it is. The top is at ground level so I don't think it was a watering trough, but with its proximity to the creek I'm sure it was for holding water. Not close to any roads but who knows what the place looked like 50 or 60 years ago. Can't wait to get back there with a metal detector.
                Sounds like an old dipping vat. There's one on my lease with debris from an old barn laying around the same area.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                  Kelmat, sounds like you found an old dipping station for cattle. In the old days, ranchers would treat their cattle for flies and other pest. You would have a corral with a chute. Push the cows down the chute and they would jump into the treated water the crawl out on the other end.
                  That came to mind but it seems too narrow for that and as far as I could tell the ends are squared off not ramped but I've not actually seen one so it could be.

Comment

Just finished this thread. It is great keep em coming!

Comment

I got zero work done today because of this thread, another productive day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        I got zero work done today because of this thread, another productive day in the office!
                        We've all been there!..lol. Mine was Ambush's "Stud showed up!" thread

Comment

Great stories!

Comment

The other day I hung an old horse shoe I found in the V of a young mesquite.
                            Maybe someday someone will find it with the tree growing around it and post on here.

Comment

Stolen canadian money cops said around 2000 us when i wad a kid. Funny money to me at the time. Lol

Comment

Hog hunting down on the Briscoe Catarina a few years ago I found a purple pair of women's panties laying on the open ground miles from nowhere. No body, just the panties. Often wondered what they would say if they could talk. Wouldn't matter I guess since I don't understand spanish.

Comment

Working...
                                X