No announcement yet.

The 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look awesome! Definitely will be watching this thread and look forward to more updates.

Comment

Thanks guys. My second son was born on the 14th, so I've been off the screen for a couple weeks. The plots are coming along strong.

The smaller plot had a lot better soil and it is all about waist high at this point. It was one of my favorite spots to hunt last fall, so I'm pretty pumped about hunting it this year.

The big plot has some signs of greatness but the lack of lime has a lot of it struggling. It was a gas well pad about 10 years ago and we dug our lake out to put clay on the pad. So that clay isn't helping me out much at this point. Some areas are coming in great, but the clay spots have stunted growth and the water holding spots don't have much of anything.

6/1-6/4 we had almost 2 inches of rain and things had gotten soggy. But it had been hot and dry since and allowed everything to grow and dry out for the most part. From last Thursday to yesterday morning we got another 1.5 inches and looks like more this week. So I expect a lot of growth in the next couple weeks.

Some of the sunn hemp is already chest high. I've heard it said that sunn hemp's claim to fame is 6 ft of growth in 60 days. Some of it is going to live up to that.

Pics tonight...

Comment

A question or observation...

Saturday night my brother and I were riding around late looking for hogs. It was after midnight and we drove up to the edge of the big field. We had cut the lights off and in the moonlight could see some of the tall stalks right in front of us looked really slender with no leaves.

On closer inspection, it appears as though the leaves on sunn hemp fold upward against the stalk at night. I haven't heard this from any of the research I've done on sunn hemp. Anyone else seen this before?

Comment

Should probably post this in another thread to get more views but I've got a question on hogs. We never had too many until a couple years ago. A few thousand acres that was separated from us by a few hundred yards was developed (clear cut) and so a couple of years ago we had a bunch of hogs move in.

Usually they move on and off our property, but with all that gone, they've set up shop. Our place being so thick, shooting what we see isn't putting a dent in them, so I'm working on the best way to trap as many as I can.

I'd love to be able to use a remote trap door system to catch a bunch at a time, but don't have that kind of money right now.

I'm actually thinking of setting that type of trap up under a big oak tree and tripping the door manually. My thought is to set up the trap and hang a stand above the door. I'd use a trail cam and pattern what time they're coming in. Then, once they're comfortable and consistent coming in, I'd climb in the stand one evening and have a rope set up to where when they come in, I can just let go of it and release the door.

Thoughts on trying this?

Comment

Photobucket is driving me crazy with uploads. Will try tonight on wifi to get more. Here's one pic from the other day. The bare spot in foreground is very low and holds water. Didn't put seed there.

Comment

A few more pics. Deer are really starting to use the plots now. Seeing a lot of browse. Finally got cameras out yesterday so hopefully I'll have some more exciting pics in a week or so. Here's a few of the bigger field. With growth not being as good here, there's some competing grasses/weeds.

Last edited by bounds; 06-29-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

The bare spots you see are where water pools. That big one in the last pic held water for a couple of weeks at the beginning of June. That strip of grass in the last pic is the road. We didn't plant that.

Comment

Here's another angle of the smaller field. More and more excited about this spot!

Comment

It's exciting to see the deer have already been hitting it. Should look real good in a couple weeks!

Comment

In for updates!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice to see another food plot thread ! The only crop I saw mentioned was sunn hemp. Are you growing anything else ?

I ran into the same problem with lime in Trinity Co. Last year was so wet that the feed mill wouldn't stock any lime when I needed it in the spring. Then when I got ready to plant for fall, they were too busy. I only needed six tons so was pretty far down the priority list. I finally got my lime this March so I'm expecting a little better plots this fall. Good luck and keep us informed !

Comment

Sorry guys. Been slow to update since the baby was born. Looks like I finally got bit by the photobucket bug. I'll have to get my pics fixed.

Trying to go out this evening to check everything out. The small plot is still growing well but the big plot everything seems to have stalled on growth. Gotta get that lime...

Question. Deer seemed to feed a lot the first 6 weeks; noticed a lot of snipped plants. Now that everything has matured a little more (but hasn't sprouted beans) seems like they're not hitting it as hard.

Would that be from the leaves/stalks not being as tender since they've gotten bigger? Guessing they'll really start hitting everything once beans start sprouting soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Nice to see another food plot thread ! The only crop I saw mentioned was sunn hemp. Are you growing anything else ?
                            Sunn Hemp is mixed into most of the big plot. Everything else is soybeans, iron clay cowpeas and sunflowers.

We got 1.75 inches of rain last night so that's going to carry us through for a while. It was getting dry!

Comment

Last edited by rbounds; 07-16-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X