Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a super gate latch and lock protector idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean to rain on the parade....but....we had the same problem so the landowner built a gate that could not be breached by an M1 Abrams. So the poachers simply cut the 5 strand barbed wire gate and went on in. Cameras or catch them in the act is the only thing that will make them stop, if they want in.

Comment

I have long given in to the fact that anything you do will only be to keep the honest folk out and all others will do anything they can to get in and they usually will. Also if you have anything of value then it's best to take it home. I know this is of no help to what you were asking but unfortunately in this day and age, it is what it is. If you get 1 person or group caught, then there is another 1 waiting to take his place. Sorry sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I don't mean to rain on the parade....but....we had the same problem so the landowner built a gate that could not be breached by an M1 Abrams. So the poachers simply cut the 5 strand barbed wire gate and went on in. Cameras or catch them in the act is the only thing that will make them stop, if they want in.
        5 strand barbed wire FENCE.....sorry. DOH!

Comment

I like the idea of ridding the access to the lock or chain to have any chance...not many bad guys are going to tote around a torch, but those cordless grinders with a cut off wheel can zip through them as well.

Are these guys continuing to trespass to poach?? I would also consider the hidden camera as well with insight from the GW...we had an issue sometime back & they actually set out their own that sends the real time pics & camaflaged it to the point it was tricky for the other members to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            I made mine and no more chains or locks cut in 7 years. I welded 2 pieces of pipe on each gate that close together and inside each, I stitch welded a piece of 1 1/2" square tubing and use a 1" stainless rod that slides through both pieces with locks on each end. On one end is our lock and the end is the paper companies. You cannot get to the lock with bolt cutters through the pipe. Works like a champ. I did this on all 3 of my gates I built. Oh and the hinges are stainless pipe welded on so there is no removing the gate either.

I like this, think this will be the route we go.
            Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              I like this, think this will be the route we go.
              Thanks.

Use 5" or 6" pipe and you only need about 3" of square tubing on the inside of each. Use 1 1/2" x1 1/2" x 1/4" wall thickness. With 5"or 6" pipe you can't reach the locking rod with a 4 1/2" cordless grinder and cutoff wheel. The head of The grinder will hit before the blade will reach.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                Use 5" or 6" pipe and you only need about 3" of square tubing on the inside of each. Use 1 1/2" x1 1/2" x 1/4" wall thickness. With 5"or 6" pipe you can't reach the locking rod with a 4 1/2" cordless grinder and cutoff wheel. The head of The grinder will hit before the blade will reach.

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                  Wow. What a POS! You really need a remote game camera. I think I missed why people want in your in gate so badly.
                  I had problems once like this. Fixed the gate so they just drove thru the fence.

The lock above might work. I can’t find a photo.

BP
                  After the welding thing, I put up one of those fake security cameras. I hung it on the gateway, 14' high. That didn't fool them, I found it broken off and laying on the ground. I then hid a trail camera after all this, but never had any more problems. I don't have a picture of the lock, but is a common lock found at Home Depot or Lowes.
                  My guess of who did this, were the guys that hunted on the property next to me. They had permission to hunt or trap pigs only. But the deer hunting was better, so the land owner asked them to leave. I'm sure they thought I had something to do with them getting kicked off. The truth is, I had nothing to do with it, and besides I liked to guys. So be it. The sheriff and game warden know about it now.

Comment

Just got off the phone with local Game Warden. He is gonna talk to land owner, and see about pressing charges on the guys. Said they will put their own lock on the gate, and set out there at night to catch em. He sounded pretty fired up about catching the guys! I'll wait to a while to set up the gate like Hogslayer78 suggested.

Comment

Well everything has been good till about a week ago. Went to the land and our chain was cut again. I had a new lock made, just hadn’t put it on yet. Well yesterday we put it on. Now I wonder how long it’ll take em to figure a way to tear this up.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        Well everything has been good till about a week ago. Went to the land and our chain was cut again. I had a new lock made, just hadn’t put it on yet. Well yesterday we put it on. Now I wonder how long it’ll take em to figure a way to tear this up.

Thats the way to go. I was wondering if you ever got it done. When we put these on all three gates it stopped. I took some more pics of mine last weekend but it looks like you got it done.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Real time cell camera and a load of buckshot ! This is what I'd want to do, but reality sets in and I know that's not very smart. However.....I did have a GW tell me that if you catch a tresspasser you can hold him at gunpoint until the LEO arrives. This I would do, and if I accidentally kicked him in the nutz when he was down, well I'm just clumsy like that.

Comment

Should be legal to sit out there, shoot the sorry *******s and then hang them on the fence to rot

That would either stop that kind of crap or make it to where you only heard about someone breaking in somewhere about once a year

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Should be legal to sit out there, shoot the sorry *******s and then hang them on the fence to rot

That would either stop that kind of crap or make it to where you only heard about someone breaking in somewhere about once a year
                              Texas law states it is legal to use deadly force to retrieve stolen property during nighttime hours if there is no other reasonable means.

If a guy shot a deer on your place at night, threw it in his truck, and was driving away, these rules would apply.

Comment

"Front towards Enemy" ring a bell??? Several of these in the bushes would take care of the problem, once and for all!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X