Ford Expedition w/ecoboost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Expedition w/ecoboost

Wanting to get some opinions on the expedition with the ecoboost. Looking at upgrading my wife’s 2011 expedition. It has the 5.4 in it. I haven’t heard much good or bad on that car with the 6 cylinder. Thoughts or opinions?

We have the 2016, so it's not the latest eco-boost engine. 40,000 miles so far with no issues. I've been super impressed with power and fuel economy. That thing has unbelievable passing power and we get right at 20 mpg loaded down driving to Florida. I hear the new engine is more powerful and supposedly more efficient.

Comment

My wife went from a 2010 expedition with the 5.4 to a 2017 3.5 ecoboost. My wife loves it. She said it's a huge upgrade from the 5.4. We have had the ecoboost about 8 months. The fuel mileage is great. We normallly see 18 in town and around 20 on the highway. That's running 75 on the highway. Power wise. There's to comparasion the ecoboost has way more power and will flat out run. I have not towed with it yet. That will be next. But so far we are very pleased with it.

Comment

We've got the 2018 with the max tow package. It's a beast, love it so far.

Only have 1200 miles on it but so far its a huge improvement over our old expedition and suburban.

Comment

My hunting partner has an Expedition EL with the Eco-Boost, 2015 I think. He got it because I had a F150 Crew with one in it and recommended it. He likes it and it has plenty of power. He tows trailers from time to time with ATV/UTV's and other equipment... With trailer, mileage goes way down, but still plenty of gitty-up-n-go... He's closin' in on a hunertK miles and still goin' strong... You'll be especially impressed moving from the old 5.4 to the eco-boost...

Comment

Thanks guys. How many miles can you expect out of those eco boosts?

Comment

We have 80,000 miles or so
              On ours. We tow our 6600 lb RV with it. Has plenty of get up and go. My wife loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had 160K miles on mine when I turned it in...(lease vehicle). Other than a 600+ dollar throttle body replacement, it was trouble free... having said that, When I ordered my next truck, I got the same vehicle only with the 5.0 V8. I just never could get used to the hesitation of the Eco-boost when I had to "mash" it to go with sudden acceleration, like passing and such. It just takes the computer a moment to tell the turbos to wind up and then it will go... The 5.0 does not have that issue and is better in my opinion.

Comment

160K on a leased vehicle?? Don't they only allow about 12k a year without penalty? Just curious.

Comment

Wife has a 17 with 25k on it. I originally wanted the v8 but they don’t offer it anymore on the expeditions so I’ve settled on the eco boost. It’s been flawless and we have been very impressed with the mileage and power. 22highway MPG and for a vehicle that big, it’ll get up and go in a hurry.

Comment

Just bought a 2017 that is NEW to me this past Saturday.

From what I read the 3.5 ecoboost engines have been around since 2011 and are solid.

In 2017 they made an improvement to the engine design to help with carbon build up in the boosters.

It hasn't been a full week, but man, I love driving it.

Of course I'm coming form a Chevy Traverse that had 210,000 miles and 8.5 years old.

My previous vehicle was a 1999 Tahoe. It is nice to be back in a full-size SUV.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                        Just bought a 2017 that is NEW to me this past Saturday.

From what I read the 3.5 ecoboost engines have been around since 2011 and are solid.

In 2017 they made an improvement to the engine design to help with carbon build up in the boosters.

It hasn't been a full week, but man, I love driving it.

Of course I'm coming form a Chevy Traverse that had 210,000 miles and 8.5 years old.

My previous vehicle was a 1999 Tahoe. It is nice to be back in a full-size SUV.
                        The exception is the 2013 model as TWO Ford Mechanics told me to get rid of it. One was a TBH member by the way. From a past OP I put up, it was a F150, 2013 King Ranch that I got rid of with 73K miles. After several hundred $$ and "check engine" lights with power/missing episodes, that was it for me. I may have had a lemon, but when a mechanic tells you he has seen several need engine replacements around 150K miles...well, it's gone and replaced. In all fairness, they both told me the newer models have most of the kinks worked out? I can say that even towing a 16' tandem with a full size UTV Crew, it was great but mileage was terrible.

Just a thought so keep doing your research and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          160K on a leased vehicle?? Don't they only allow about 12k a year without penalty? Just curious.
                          It's a commercial lease with no regard to mileage... I have to keep the vehicle one year... after that, I can turn it in any time and they sell it... If it brings more than the buy out on the lease, they just apply the excess to the next vehicle... If I keep it 5 years, I can buy it for a dollar... I'd have kept this last one (13 platinum Eco-Boost) but the service engine light had started coming on intermittently and tranny didn't sound too good... Had it been sound, I'd have either bought it myself or just drove it another year, then bought it... Buy out on the lease was 10 grand and they sold it for 14,500, so they put the 4,500 bucks on my current lease, a '18 King Ranch with the 5.0... Got it in October of 17 and it's got 25K miles on it already... By October this year, it'll be over 50K likely... I run a lot of miles...

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                            Wife has a 17 with 25k on it. I originally wanted the v8 but they don’t offer it anymore on the expeditions so I’ve settled on the eco boost. It’s been flawless and we have been very impressed with the mileage and power. 22highway MPG and for a vehicle that big, it’ll get up and go in a hurry.
                            Same as us. 2017 with about 25k miles. Thing is a beast! No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              It's a commercial lease with no regard to mileage... I have to keep the vehicle one year... after that, I can turn it in any time and they sell it... If it brings more than the buy out on the lease, they just apply the excess to the next vehicle... If I keep it 5 years, I can buy it for a dollar... I'd have kept this last one (13 platinum Eco-Boost) but the service engine light had started coming on intermittently and tranny didn't sound too good... Had it been sound, I'd have either bought it myself or just drove it another year, then bought it... Buy out on the lease was 10 grand and they sold it for 14,500, so they put the 4,500 bucks on my current lease, a '18 King Ranch with the 5.0... Got it in October of 17 and it's got 25K miles on it already... By October this year, it'll be over 50K likely... I run a lot of miles...
                              This may make business sense for me.

What is the lease payment? PM if you don't mind answering that.

We've been buying every two years or so and using section 179 to depreciate on our taxes so I don't feel bad about taking the hit.

I know we can write off the entire lease payment though, we may come out ahead. I was worried about the mileage restrictions.

Comment

Working...
                              X