Used Car Buying Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Car Buying Tips

It's been years since I've negotiated to buy a vehicle from a dealership. I think I know the exact car/model that my wife is wanting. Any bargaining tips would be appreciated. Looking at a 2016 KIA Sorento EX under 30k miles. TIA

Originally posted by marlin man View Post
    It's been years since I've negotiated to buy a vehicle from a dealership. I think I know the exact car/model that my wife is wanting. Any bargaining tips would be appreciated. Looking at a 2016 KIA Sorento EX under 30k miles. TIA
    Just look at what they are selling for on autotrader and offer $2-3K less via email. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      Just look at what they are selling for on autotrader and offer $2-3K less via email. Good luck
      That sounds like a great idea. Thank you

Comment

Dealerships can add things to the sale that have real value such as extended warranty, free oil changes, etc. I would do my research and look at sites like Consumer Reports to get an ideal of any issues that have been noted over time, as well as resale value. If possible, try to wait until the end of the month as you may have a bit better negotiating position for salesmen trying to meet their quotas. Unplanned, but several years ago, my wife and I bought a car just before Christmas. Man, did we get a great deal!

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
          Dealerships can add things to the sale that have real value such as extended warranty, free oil changes, etc. I would do my research and look at sites like Consumer Reports to get an ideal of any issues that have been noted over time, as well as resale value. If possible, try to wait until the end of the month as you may have a bit better negotiating position for salesmen trying to meet their quotas. Unplanned, but several years ago, my wife and I bought a car just before Christmas. Man, did we get a great deal!

Good luck,

Dave
          Great, great thoughts. Thank you

Comment

Yea mid to late Dec is best for a 2018 model. that's what I'm waiting for.

Comment

Always be prepared to walk.. If they do not get to your numbers, walk... And keep shopping

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                Always be prepared to walk.. If they do not get to your numbers, walk... And keep shopping
                I make the deal before ever setting foot at the dealership. Make the dealer, have them send me a buyers order.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  I make the deal before ever setting foot at the dealership. Make the dealer, have them send me a buyers order.
                  They do that for used cars also?

Comment

Originally posted by marlin man View Post
                    They do that for used cars also?
                    Yes sir!

Comment

Here in Idaho, we buy used cars in January. Go down when it is 30 degrees below zero, and buy the first one that starts!!! It will be great the rest of the year.

Comment

Have funds to make purchase available weather it be cash or a loan from a CU or institution of your choosing.
                        Have a good idea of what you want to purchase including color, equipment, drive train etc.
                        Be willing to walk until you find the deal that favors you.
                        Most used vehicles are marked up over 40% of what the used dealer gets them for.
                        You will have to come up with an acceptable amount you are willing to pay between the asking price and your 40% off number.
                        Stand pat to that amount.
                        Use the 40% to start negotiations. Try to stay as close as you possibly can to your 40% number.

Don’t allow the dealer to add any type of extra to your price.

Sometimes you can make a deal with the first dealer you hit but mostly it takes time and effort to get to your price. Never get in a hurry.
                        Remember used cars are numerous so don’t fall for any dealer drama they try to fluff you up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do it all online and tell them if the sales Manager/Finance manager tries to sell you one single extra thing like oil changes or key fob replacement you are walking out.

Negotiate free oil changes and demand a letter from the sales manager/GM that when you show up for oil change they give you a vehicle to drive.

What good is a “free” oil change if you have to wait 3hrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

haha

Comment

Sounds great. 40% huh? It's hard to imagine that kind of mark up.

Comment

Working...
                              X