Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

Default Will He Blow Up?

Have photos of this buck since he was a 2 year old 10 point in 2012. He's 5 this year and is one of our heaviest hitters at the protein and food plots. Last night I accidently ran across a card from 2013, when he was 3, so I decided to do a split screen. To call him a disappointment is being nice. I mean this is a buck that was one of those 2 year olds that you get excited about & try to protect. What do you think stops this buck from growing bigger antlers? Do you think he will blow up next year at 6? How long would you let a slow grower live/continue to feed on your well managed lease?

Pictured in 2013 @ 3 & 2015 @ 5
East Texas buck, if that matters
Attached Images

perfectstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Tyler's Outdoor
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado County, Texas

If that was my place, I'd go ahead and shoot him. He's only grown a few inches in 2 years, doesn't make much sense to keep a feeder hog around if he's not growing. Just my 2 cents, though.
Tyler's Outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post
If that was my place, I'd go ahead and shoot him. He's only grown a few inches in 2 years, doesn't make much sense to keep a feeder hog around if he's not growing. Just my 2 cents, though.
X2 I know a lot of times buck will start growing more antler once they hit 6.5 and 7.5 but that seems to be more of a south TX thing. I would go ahead and make a reservation in hotel eternity for this buck now.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

It depends what you are wanting to do with your place. I don't see him blowing up if that helps.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Unless most of your 5 year olds are sporting better racks , I would let him walk.
BolilloLoco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Deer stall all the time... And others blow up from no accounts... It's just another reason to use the wait and see approach when culling instead of persecuting native yearlings and 2 year olds based on performance.
Encinal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County

The majority of deer really blow up from 6-7 and that's the case pretty much everywhere. That's the age when the majority of the nutrition goes to antler production. I would give him at least another year.
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Yes he will or did.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

One thing you can be sure is if you kill him now he won't blow up. Give him another couple of years.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

What do yall think a 120" buck @ 5 is capable of in a "few years"? Based on 20" growth in the past 3 years... This is low fence.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

you also have consider what the chances are that we will have another good spring next year with plenty of rain. if he only grew incrementally after the spring we had this year i dont think you will get much more out of him.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectstorm View Post
What do yall think a 120" buck @ 5 is capable of in a "few years"? Based on 20" growth in the past 3 years... This is low fence.
Not much... he's a pretty average 5 year old.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Not much... he's a pretty average 5 year old.
Based on our general LF buck population, I would have to agree. If they havnt shown promise by 5, they usually don't turn on at all. He may throw on a kicker or an extra tine on somewhere (sorta like that bump he's putting on) but our native frames don't expand much past 5.5. This is also probably a 145/150# buck, live weight.

He won't be on the top of my radar so if he makes it to 6, he makes it. If the lease behind us get a peep at him, he will die. He's been lucky thus far. He's extremely nocturnal once season comes around. Has been seen 1 time in his life during daylight & that was out in a field with a doe during peak rut.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Based on our general LF buck population, I would have to agree. If they havnt shown promise by 5, they usually don't turn on at all. He may throw on a kicker or an extra tine on somewhere (sorta like that bump he's putting on) but our native frames don't expand much past 5.5. This is also probably a 145/150# buck, live weight.

He won't be on the top of my radar so if he makes it to 6, he makes it. If the lease behind us get a peep at him, he will die. He's been lucky thus far. He's extremely nocturnal once season comes around. Has been seen 1 time in his life during daylight & that was out in a field with a doe during peak rut.
I'd hunt him just for his cape! He's beautiful. Love the white throat.

We don't get that here... (or haven't) we get distinct doubles... but not solids...
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Maybe he is a horn dog and runs himself ragged during the rut, and spends the first part of the spring build back up his body. Might not be the case but could be.....
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #16
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
This. Shoot him, he is taking nutrition away from better bucks
texasdeerhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #17
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post
X3
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

I have a deer like that this year. Almost identical 10 actually. Looked really impressive as a 3 year old. Now at 5+ he looks about the same (130" or so). This after two years of great rainfall and abundant food because the area he lives in is right beside thousands of acres of corn and soybeans and winter wheat. I too am on the fence about whether to pass him or not, and I won't be able to tell you what I'm going to do until he walks past me.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #19
bentlimbs
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval,Kinney,Jim Hogg Cty's

If your reason for killing him is only because he is 5 yrs old and not a trophy, I would hold off. The older bucks (6+) tend to slow down around the rut as far as fighting goes and will usually put on better horns because of coming out of the rut in much better health. He could blow up next yr, I would give him a year he might surprise you.
bentlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top