Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Lonestar88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio Co.
Default When to Stop Protein

Just wanted to check and see if you feed protein year round or do you stop at some point.
Lonestar88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

We keep one feeder running all year in the middle of our property, but we switched all of our other protein feeders to corn feeders last weekend.
bgleaton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

We feed until hunting season. Bucks are hard horn and does are weening. Mostly for the does that are feeding babies at this point. Most bucks are about as big as they are going to get by now.
Chasing_bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I am stoppign this year whenever it runs out. SHould be next 2-3 weeks
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Filling up one more time this week and should get us to the end of september, then just corn.
Start back up in January!!
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I kept my running year around on the lease I was on because I didn't have a food plot or anything besides corn to draw them in. I figured when they start the rut the protein will help them out and it will draw them in. They might eat it at night, just like they will on a food plot, but at least it kept them coming to my area. Just my thought, but it didn't cost me much to keep it going and I thought it was worth it.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=547043
is another thread like this.
I feed year round and strongly believe in water stations also.
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Truckville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin & Edwards Co

I will back off now that the velvets off and refill protein feeders post rut near the food plots
Truckville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

About Sep 15th for us. Then refill everything in January when it gets cold cold.
walker1983 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Granbury

Feed it year round on our property, keeps them used to coming over to our place, instead of the neighbors.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

IMO, and I'm not saying its wrong just saying it doesn't fit my goals or management theories, the folks who stop feeding protein after antler development are only focusing on a small fraction in the antler development equation. Anytime any deer, including the does and older fawns, gets some quality feed, be it protein or food plots, they benefit from it and last time I checked all deer continue to eat and need sustenance year round. We don't stop eating when a certain time of the year roles around?
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
bgleaton
Ten Point

Bassmatt72-

I agree with you 100%. I believe feeding protein year-round is very important. We just had to stop feeding 20% protein pellets because we have already fed 20,000lbs and our wallets were getting emptied. We will continue to feed alfalfa, cottonseed and rice bran along with corn from September through December and we will keep our 1,000lb trough filled with protein year-round. The cottonseed, alfalfa and rice bran will help give the deer some extra protein and fat, while helping us keep our feed bill down. We have a fairly small piece of property (400 acres), but our neighbors don't feed protein so we get a lot of their deer during the off-season.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #13
cwt1026
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano

bgleaton, where do you get your cottonseed from, i am in llano and have had trouble finding
cwt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
bgleaton
Ten Point

I have driven to the Mereta Cotton Gin and I have also had a buddy bring a load up from Waco, TX (Cape & Sons). You will need to call ahead of time to see if they have any because a lot of it is under contract. There are some feed stores that sell it in bags, but the price is almost the same as 20% protein, so I normally go to the cotton gins and buy it by the truckload.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #15
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Stop when you die.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

We stop this month. Pick it back up in February.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
FCTrapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa/McMullen County

I think if you can run protein feeders all year long that is the most beneficial, no doubt. Unfortunately for most it isn't finically feaseable and don't feed much after they shed their velvet till after the rut. We have tried it both ways.... If you want to have a VERY conservative harvest year then feeding during deer season will help your goal because you only see about half your bucks. LoL We only stop feed now because it was impossible to kill our mature bucks because they stay nocturnal due to the amount of feed available. A well fed whitetail is a hard animal to kill. My Management point of view is that you have to be able to harvest to control your numbers effectively. If your building a higher deer density or not targeting a large number of mature bucks to harvest then I would feed all year around.
FCTrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCTrapper View Post
I think if you can run protein feeders all year long that is the most beneficial, no doubt. Unfortunately for most it isn't finically feaseable and don't feed much after they shed their velvet till after the rut. We have tried it both ways.... If you want to have a VERY conservative harvest year then feeding during deer season will help your goal because you only see about half your bucks. LoL We only stop feed now because it was impossible to kill our mature bucks because they stay nocturnal due to the amount of feed available. A well fed whitetail is a hard animal to kill. My Management point of view is that you have to be able to harvest to control your numbers effectively. If your building a higher deer density or not targeting a large number of mature bucks to harvest then I would feed all year around.
The exact reason we stop...target bucks feed all night during season. When we stop the protein we kick on the timed corn feeders so it enables us to see our target deer and they become more visable.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #19
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Year round here except on out place in Childress. We just switched to straight corn up there.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #20
DT50
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
I have driven to the Mereta Cotton Gin and I have also had a buddy bring a load up from Waco, TX (Cape & Sons). You will need to call ahead of time to see if they have any because a lot of it is under contract. There are some feed stores that sell it in bags, but the price is almost the same as 20% protein, so I normally go to the cotton gins and buy it by the truckload.

What are yall paying? ive been buying it bagged at comptons whse and its pretty high but its close!!
DT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #21
bentlimbs
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval,Kinney,Jim Hogg Cty's

Just on the notion that browse is not there in winter in most parts. All deer need as much food as they can get especially during and after the rut, bucks and does. They also come into Spring in a much healthier state being well fed. You just have to get off of the feed stations and catch the mature bucks on the trails. The largest consumption of protein comes in Dec, Jan and Feb, main reason to keep feeding if you can.
bentlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #22
hammer63
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX

I'll let my feeders continue to feed daylight-to-dark free choice until October, then switch timer to feed free choice for an hour each morning and evening. Come January, we'll pour the feed and cotton seed to 'em until April to recover from the rut.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #23
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I never had a problem with my bucks going nocturnal once the weather cooled off and hunting season started. If this is the case I recommend feeding year round. If you have target bucks that go nocturnal and feed at the protein feeders at night then I would stop it for hunting season but have it up and running as soon as my target bucks were taken or the day after the season ended. Those bucks need that good stuff as soon as they are done with the major rut.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #24
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I never had a problem with my bucks going nocturnal once the weather cooled off and hunting season started. If this is the case I recommend feeding year round. If you have target bucks that go nocturnal and feed at the protein feeders at night then I would stop it for hunting season but have it up and running as soon as my target bucks were taken or the day after the season ended. Those bucks need that good stuff as soon as they are done with the major rut.
Exactly what we do.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #25
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Stop when your neighbors start shooting every buck that jumps the fence. It's pointless.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #26
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar88 View Post
Just wanted to check and see if you feed protein year round or do you stop at some point.
Yes, year round
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #27
In Rut
Six Point

Hunt In: Southern Texas

The ranch I am hunting feeds all year.
In Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #28
Brad75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere I can!!

We will stop feeding in the protein pens middle of September. I move there feed in small rations to our hunting locations. Although I am cutting the protein pens down, I am not cutting all of their protein out all together. I feed them as much as they can eat in the evening and morning. We try to finish up harvesting our quota as early as we can. We will then fill protein and cottonseed up in the pens and start it all over. This may be November or even into December. The earlier the better. I think it is great to feed year round if one is able to but, by moving there feed where we hunt, we make the mature animals more visible. Just my 2 cents.... Good luck everybody.
Brad75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #29
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

We stop when the deer are hard horned. Want the deer on the corn not the all night buffet at the protein feeder. Start back up as soon as the season is over.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #30
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I like this! Mine go nocturnal and hence why I am stopping protein this year before Oct 1
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #31
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCTrapper View Post
Sing it and sing it loud Rodney, nothing like having a bunch of boss bucks filled up with corn to keep deer feeding all night.
DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #32
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPElite View Post
Sing it and sing it loud Rodney, nothing like having a bunch of boss bucks filled up with corn to keep deer feeding all night.
Oh noooooo uuuuuuuuuuu didntttttttt!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #33
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Oh noooooo uuuuuuuuuuu didntttttttt!
oh yesssssss iiiiiiiiiii diiiiiiiiiiddddddd
DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #34