No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the federal game warden, Lionel Castillo, meant that the permit is for 1 spike, 3 does and 1 buck; if the county allows it. So at most you can only kill one buck with more than 3 points. Is this correct?
    I think it's funny that I'm so optimistic that I feel like I have to hammer this out beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
      I thought the federal game warden, Lionel Castillo, meant that the permit is for 1 spike, 3 does and 1 buck; if the county allows it. So at most you can only kill one buck with more than 3 points. Is this correct?
      I think it's funny that I'm so optimistic that I feel like I have to hammer this out beforehand.
      I'm not sure. I guess we will hammer it out at the orientation. Youth hunt is first then us so by that time we'll likely know.

Comment

Unit #15 December 7-9. Checked with the federal game warden; I will be the only hunter in that unit on those dates

Comment

Anyone know how it is holding up with all of the flooding?

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' soldier View Post
            Anyone know how it is holding up with all of the flooding?

Curious here also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I emailed the office and they said there was 4 feet on the FM road in front of the headquarters. I think it is FM 1431? Anyways, we have plenty of time for it to dry up if it ever will.

Comment

Got my permit looks like unit 14 on Nov. 16 -18. Looking forward to checking this place out.

Comment

Got my permit looks like unit 14 on Nov. 16 -18. Looking forward to checking this place out.

Comment

Game Warden told me there was extensive flooding. We are less than 3 weeks from our youth hunt. Wondering how this is gonna affect the hunt. Hmm...

If anyone is able to scout prior to that day I would appreciate any feedback.

Comment

Just got a cancellation on our campsite at turkey bend. Guess we will have to move to Marble Falls. Looks like all LCRA campsites around Travis are closed.

Edited. We moved to a motel in Bertram. Not as close and more expensive but until I know LCRA has reopened or hear of another campsite nearby it will do. Sure hope they don't mind us skinning deer in the lobby.
                      Last edited by jnd1959; 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

I see online that Balcones Canyonlands NWR is closed. No word on any hunts being cancelled........ yet.

Comment

My sil hiked there this weekend. She said the hq entrance and office was closed but the some trails were open. Good luck

Comment

Our unit is the closest to the lake. Lowest points are 20 feet above the tributary to lake Travis. We shouldn't be flooded. I'm going to scout Tues or wed unless they cancel the scouting dates.

Comment

Talked to the Balcones Canyonlands manager this morning. Units are open for scouting from dawn to dusk. Office is now open (it was closed because of access to the office only). I am scouting unit 9 on Wednesday. I asked if I could hang a stand for observation and he said yes. He also said my unit still had water on the roads seeping from the rocks but that unit 9 had a pretty solid base. There were a couple of places a 2wd would have issues. If anyone is scouting on Wednesday PM me. Maybe we can compare notes or observations.

Good luck.

Comment

I hunted unit 14 two years ago. I have never saw any bucks, but saw lots of does. My son killed a nice doe. Out of all the hunters during my session only one buck was killed, but several does were killed. The wildlife officers there are awesome. They let me buy permit for my son at the orientation and allowed him to hunt same unit as me.

Comment

Working...
                                X