Camera suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera suggestion?

I am headed to Saskatchewan in November and looking for a good camera for both wildlife photography and for taking more pics of my boys. I don't want to go cheap but I don't need the Bentley model either. Suggestions?

It's always good to provide a budget range. Also, do you want to be able to buy more lenses later? Or are you just looking to make a single purchase and don't care about expanding? I think you'll get more responses if people have a little more info to go on.

B&H Photo is a good source of info and you can read reviews... https://www.bhphotovideo.com

Comment

$1000-$1500 and I would like to have the option of changing lenses down the road.

Comment

I'm no pro like a lot of guys one here, but i really like my Canon equipment. With your budget you could get some nice stuff. As suggested, do some research. I bet you find some good deals on some really nice equipment. Good luck ~

Comment

Lenses are generally a better investment than camera bodies. A good lens will remain a good lens, but the technology in the camera bodies changes rapidly, especially with regard to things like ISO performance. But in the new market, your budget will buy a pretty good body or a very good lens, but not necessarily both. So you're probably looking at a decent body with a decent kit lens to start off with. Something along these lines would probably fit your immediate needs and be a good starting point to expand your hobby...

That's just one I pulled up real quick as an example. To be clear, I have no experience with that camera or lens, I'm just partial to Canon. So don't take it as a recommendation. You should continue to research, compare specs, etc.

Another approach would be to look for good used equipment. In which case, I would probably concentrate on lens quality, with the intention of upgrading the body at a later time.

I know this isn't a lot of help, but maybe it will just give you some things to think about.

Comment

I would avoid the Rebel cameras and go with the "professional" models. They just seem to be built better. It's hard to beat a new 70D or used 5D Mark II or 7D Mark II in your price range and add a used 24-105 L lens. I would lean towards the 5D Mark II over the other 2.

70D

5D Mark II

7D Mark II

BH doesn't list any used 24-105's, but you can usually find one for $550-$650

Comment

I've got a 70D and I'm thinking of selling it. Why? Because I just saw the Nikon P900, all in one camera. And for only $520 at Wal-Mart
              YouTube it.
              I want to take it on our bear hunt to Alaska next month, chomping at the bit to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by bushwacker361 View Post
                I've got a 70D and I'm thinking of selling it. Why? Because I just saw the Nikon P900, all in one camera. And for only $520 at Wal-Mart
                YouTube it.
                I want to take it on our bear hunt to Alaska next month, chomping at the bit to buy one.
                I considered one of those to kick around with though I'm a Canon shooter. Not being able to shoot RAW killed it for me though. It is a nice one though. Held one while out shooting bird photos one day.

Canon has an 80D out now.

Comment

Looking at the Canon EOS and Nikon D type of cameras

Comment

I'm a fan of the Canon Rebel series. Good bang for the buck, and easy to use. Look at http://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-eo...he-difference/

Comment

Sony alpha A9 mirrorless is probably the best out there if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                      X