DIY barn door question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY barn door question

I hit a bathroom closet that is 25 1/2”x 82”. I’m going to attempt to build a barn door. How much bigger than the opening should I build the door?

6" on each side

Comment

If it is just a closet door, I'd only go 2 or 3" on each side.

Comment

Build the door to match the trim.. so that with the door closed, you dont "see" the trim behind it. Shouldbe somewhere in the neighborhood of 7" wider and 3.5" taller.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
          Build the door to match the trim.. so that with the door closed, you dont "see" the trim behind it. Shouldbe somewhere in the neighborhood of 7" wider and 3.5" taller.
          This is "about" what I did.

I bought undrilled, 6 panel doors for mine, so I just added about 6" to the opening size, and got the closest, larger standard size.

Barn doors won't close like regular doors. You have to go a LOT bigger, if you don't want someone peeking through the crack, on a bathroom or such. On a closet, it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Thanks. I’m gonna give it a shot.

Comment

I just measured the one that I built for the master bathroom door. 36 3/4 inches wide outside the trim and 83 inches tall outside the trim. I built the door 39 1/2 inches wide and 84 inches tall.

Comment

We installed 4 on our barndo in Iowa. They are not as easy to install as you would think. We used two piece rails on the ones pictured with the frosted glass. You have to get the two piece rails dead perfect level at the joint or you will hear/feel a bump as the rollers pass over. We used one piece rails on the other two doors. Your width and height measurements have to be very precise for floor clearance and opening coverage. I rabbited a groove in the bottom of the doors for the floor guide. If you mount your rail too high the door will swing above the floor guide. Slightly too low and it will drag on the floor guide. I installed 2x6 backers in between the studs before sheetrocking. On an existing wall you will need a backer board on the wall. You can't count on hitting the studs and you side to side measurements working out. Also an exterior backer board is going to push your door out away from the wall and create a bigger gap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-19-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X