MG 18% MVP = 64.7%
    MG 20% ST = 60.9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sippy,

What are your thoughts on gossypol ?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        Can you explain what this means tho? If the ingredients are no digestible does this mean they are wastes/aka fillers?
        It is a measure of energy in feed. I wouldn't say they are putting waste or filler into the feed, their ratios of low energy ingredients are higher thus making the feed less efficient. The animal will have to eat more to obtain x amount of energy from the feed vs a feed with higher tdn.

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
          Sippy,

What are your thoughts on gossypol ?
          I'm not overly worried about it when acquired from supplemental wcs feeding in white-tailed deer. Exotic ruminants are a completely different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
            I'm not overly worried about it when acquired from supplemental wcs feeding in white-tailed deer. Exotic ruminants are a completely different story.
            What about in pelletized feed? same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
              It is a measure of energy in feed. I wouldn't say they are putting waste or filler into the feed, their ratios of low energy ingredients are higher thus making the feed less efficient. The animal will have to eat more to obtain x amount of energy from the feed vs a feed with higher tdn.
              Do you mean energy like we mean energy in terms of moving? How does this affect the nutrient and protein intake in terms of improving a herd?

I guess my concern or lack of knowledge is if 2 feeds which are identical have 50%TDN and one has 85% TDN then the deer will have to eat that much more of the 50% to equal the same nutrients as the 85%....is that correct?
              Last edited by gingib; 05-02-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Is it equilivent within protein intake as well?
                If a deer eats 10 pounds of feed with a 80% TDN does that mean he gets 8 pounds worth of feed containing digestible protein vs eating a 60% TDN feed and only getting 6 pounds....???

This could make a huge difference and make me rethink the benefit of my dollar when purchasing what protein to feed....

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                  If a deer eats 10 pounds of feed with a 80% TDN does that mean he gets 8 pounds worth of feed containing digestible protein vs eating a 60% TDN feed and only getting 6 pounds....???

This could make a huge difference and make me rethink the benefit of my dollar when purchasing what protein to feed....

I do agree.. Maybe some experts(unbiased) will chime in based on research

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post

I agree. I want to send some of mine in to get checked now

Comment

This (TDN) is one of the most overlooked item on a nutrient sheet and, IMO, is by far and away the most important. The reason this information is not on a standard feed tag is: 1. It's not required and 2. For manufacturers who use least cost formulations. You could use different feed ingredients (fillers and such) to obtain the same standard nutrient levels on a tag. TDN will change dramatically in this setting.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthTexas14 View Post
                        This (TDN) is one of the most overlooked item on a nutrient sheet and, IMO, is by far and away the most important. The reason this information is not on a standard feed tag is: 1. It's not required and 2. For manufacturers who use least cost formulations. You could use different feed ingredients (fillers and such) to obtain the same standard nutrient levels on a tag. TDN will change dramatically in this setting.
                        Seems the better feeds would do even better advertising and pushing that as a selling point

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          Seems the better feeds would do even better advertising and pushing that as a selling point
                          I've talked this for a while. Mostly in phone conversations and emails. Like I've said before, I don't get on these very often.

Comment

I got a call into some people at one of these companies to find out some more info....intriguing to say the least but it makes absolute sense

Comment

Give us a shout anytime. Office number is 830-965-1622. Either myself (Jason) or Philip are more than happy to share additional info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DF&G View Post
                                Give us a shout anytime. Office number is 830-965-1622. Either myself (Jason) or Philip are more than happy to share additional info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Can you post some info for us on what TND has to do with feeds and how it affects how much deer eat and the consumption of food/protein?

Just looking for research and I know yall have done it and have some knowledgeable people

Comment

Working...
                                X