Ideas For Custom Hunting Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas For Custom Hunting Rifle

Ok, here's the deal. I had plans to build a PRS rifle but things have changed and I am taking this build in a different direction. I guess I will turn this into a hunting rifle now but I may need to change barrel contours for carrying purposes. I love the 6.5 but would like to steer clear of the Creedmoor please. Any ideas are appreciated and obscure chamberings are not a deal breaker. I am a very skilled reloader just to throw that out there. The components I have are as follows:

Deviant Hunter XM (i.e. Short action)
    .473 bolt face, standard bolt nose
    Bartlein medium Palma 1:8 twist (6.5mm)

In short action, I already have 308, 22-250, 260 and 223. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but you get the point.

Ideas please....

Please please, you are in denial. You must chamber it in 6.5CM as it's the bestest cartridge ever designed period, end of story. No need to spend mucho $$$ on a custom either, any factory rifle in the Credmoor shoot's one hole groups like a lazer beam.

My choice would be a 7m-08 Imp.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
      Please please, you are in denial. You must chamber it in 6.5CM as it's the bestest cartridge ever designed period, end of story. No need to spend mucho $$$ on a custom either, any factory rifle in the Credmoor shoot's one hole groups like a lazer beam.

My choice would be a 7m-08 Imp.
      Lol. There are a lot of guys that really think so. Saw one guy that said his creedmoor had more energy at 300 yards than a 300 win mag.

Comment

I'm interested in the 6.5 SAUM

Comment

Not ideal in a short action with long VLD Bullets but look at the 6.5X284 Norma

Comment

Kinda pigeon holed with that bolt face and short action. 6.5x47 lapua would be a good little round. Good brass available and would fit perfectly in that rifle and not be a creedmoor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Open the bolt face to chamber a 6.5saum or 6.5prc. If you want to keep the standard bolt face, 6.5x47

Comment

257 Rob-AI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm headed to my grandmother's funeral in NOLA right now but will reply back this evening/tonight.

I have a Kelbly's built PRS rifle in 6.5x47L and just bought another Kelbly rifle. I'll share with you and others my experience and .02.

FYI - the Kelbly Atlas Tactical action priced at $999 is a steal. Complete melonite (black nitride) of bolt and action, with incredibly precise machine work.

https://www.kelbly.com/actions-steel...-tactical.html

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    Kinda pigeon holed with that bolt face and short action. 6.5x47 lapua would be a good little round. Good brass available and would fit perfectly in that rifle and not be a creedmoor.

It was originally purposed as a 6.5x47 Lapua. I have considered sticking with it because I don't need a 300 RUM (I have one) to make a deer go "flop".

Blake, sorry about your grandmother and I look forward to your $.02.

Thanks

Comment

It's already been said about but I'd look at the 65 saum or 708AI.

That 65saum would be a bad machine. I'd also suggest the 65x284 but don't think you'd be happy with it in a short action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

-short action
                        -youre ok with the 6.5 but no creedmoor
                        -you already have a .260

....only logical thing is that this build needs to be a .260AI

6.5x47 is a nice round but if going that route, might as well just go creedmoor

Comment

Do a Switchlug like I’m doing and you can run multiple calibers. Depending on the caliber you want, you could have a PRS barrel and a hunting barrel. Since I’m getting ready to do a 6.5 SAUM 4s I’m going to say......um.....6.5 SAUM 4S? Lol? If I wanted to do something different that’s strictly a reloaders’ caliber, I’d probably do a 6.5x280AI, a 6.5 SS or a 6.5 SLR.

I already own 2 Creedmoors. [emoji15]

Comment

Why not just another .260 if you're already invested in the round? One thing I've found from older hunters and shooters is that they tend to simplify their arsenal down to just a few cartridges. I figure with a pair of .30-06's, 6.5's, and .223's, I can do everything I need and not have to play "Sophie's choice" in my latter years.

Comment

Ever think about a 224 Texas Trophy Hunter? I built one several years ago. My father had to have everything I had. So he made one out of a Remington 700 BDL action. It has a#9 Hart barrel with a 1in 8 twist rate that was left at finished length. Not sure how long but can measure it if anybody is interested. It has only had 7 rounds through during break in process. Would make someone a great gun. Stock is the original BDL stock expanded to fit the heavy Hart barrel. Pm if interested

Comment

Working...
                              X