Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
tex8569
Six Point

Default Truck life?

Im torn on buying a new truck right now. I have an 08 Sierra 1500 6.0 with 168,000 miles and hardly any towing that I bought new 10 years ago. At the moment it runs fine but Ive replaced the transfer case, both front hubs, radiator along with all other normal/preventative maintenance. Its mostly highway miles and unfortunately most of the replacements have occurred when Ive been traveling. It does have some little issues like mirror & window motors and a finicky door lock that act up.

Longevity and reliability are my biggest concerns especially as we start to have a family. If I didnt have to drive so much in the middle of no where it wouldnt be that big of a deal.

I dunno, what are your thoughts? Time for a new one or let it keep going?
tex8569 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Do you drive lots of miles for work ?
Do you have another newer vehicle to use for family things ?
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
hogdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever

i deserve a new truck every ten years max so do you.
hogdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Sounds like you've fixed most of the main trouble points for that age and mileage vehicle. I would say keep driving it. But Im in the minority I will never buy a showroom floor new truck again.

Or do like 90% of the people on Craigslist and try to sell it for $22k and buy a new one.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Kind of in the same boat here. I’m to the point where I can still make good money off of my truck if I sale it but I’m worried I’m going to have to start putting money into, so I think it’s about to be gone.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I don't even buy a truck until they have that many miles
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I don't even buy a truck until they have that many miles
This
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
tex8569
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReydonPete View Post
Do you drive lots of miles for work ?
Do you have another newer vehicle to use for family things ?

I dont drive much for work, just fun. Average 17,000 miles/year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
tex8569
Six Point

I hate the idea of spending money on something that is just an expense. I just worry about breaking down out in no mans land, especially with young children. Living in West Texas its hard to break down in a convenient spot.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

If you don’t drive lots of miles I’d keep driving it. The money you save can go to other things for family etc.
It’s nice to not have a new vehicle payment, extra money will be nice especially if your starting a family
You can always buy later if circumstances change for you
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex8569 View Post
I hate the idea of spending money on something that is just an expense. I just worry about breaking down out in no mans land, especially with young children. Living in West Texas its hard to break down in a convenient spot.

Seems like you're trying to talk yourself into it. If I were you I would just save some cash for down payment and start shopping for a good deal. You have time on your side right now.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Old Goat1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx.

I have philosophy. How many dollars can you put in the old truck to bring it back to almost new vs the price of a new one.
50 %? Then after that put it back every month for a new one. Trucks are tools unless you like to just run pavement everyday.
Old Goat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #13
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

I just got rid of my 09 Traverse. When I let it go, I was at 210K miles.

I didn't want to have to put out any money on a major repair and decided it was time to get a new to me vehicle. Got a new to me 2017 Expedition with a few miles on it.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is are you ready for a new vehicle or ready to put out money for a major repair?

If you blow a cylinder on the engine or if the transmission goes, are you going to be upset about spending money towards the repair?
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #14
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

319,000 miles and some of it at extremes many pulling heavy loads - still a beast!! '01 sierra
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #15
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

BTW the engine was recalled at 35,000 so the replacement has 274,ooo miles Alison tranny is original rear wheel bearings original just repacked twice. original front end and steering replaced the drivers side hub up fromt but passenger side original. Paid $1,500 to have the main seal in the tranny replaced only to find out a torque converter weld had failed in - 25 degree weather up on the great divide. crankshaft sensor but found out it was recalled after I paid a dealership to change. everything else is still original! Oh had a bad brake booster spitting power steering fluid and it turned out to be a bad casting. Just can't let go of her - as I said that 8.1 is STILL a beast!!
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #16
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

05 Sierra. 265*** miles. Don't feel the need to replace it yet.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #17
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:

I see posts weekly with people complaining about their brand new truck having issues, so a new truck doesn't guarantee no problems. Yes the odds are better, but with proper maintenance your current truck is just fine. It's also a plus that you're the original owner, so you know the truck inside & out by now.

I get attached to vehicles and do not care if I'm in the newest truck or not. I've owned my current truck since new and it is a 2003. It has somewhere around 350k miles and I'm going to break the 500,000 before even considering a new one. It's my daily driver and I wouldn't hesitate to load the kids up and drive cross country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #18
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

My 04 Chevy 2500HD started to fall apart at 160K, but I took it to 260K. Looking back, I should of dropped 5 or 6K into it instead of 40K into a new truck.

I broke down Colorado with my old one. That was the last straw. Luckily I was 6 miles from a Chevy dealer.

Piece of mind is a big deal with a family. A cell phone and the Uber app will help.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #19
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion Co.

Iím going against the consensus here. Get a new or newer truck. You can save about $10K by getting a slightly used truck with less than 10,000miles on it.

If you can afford the truck payment, Iíd do it for piece of mind. The first time you do break down out here (I live in rural parts of W TX) with your kids on the side of the road youíll hate that truck.

Shop smart. Iíve retained about $15k of original $19k in equity in my last 4 trucks cumulatively by shopping and trading wisely.

Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #20
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Honestly, it depends how hard of mileage you put on the truck. Highway miles are a lot different than dirt roads miles. My current Chevy is at a 136K, and Iím ready to dump it.

SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #21
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I just went through this same dilemma. Had a 2007, Z71 with 150K miles on it. It had been a very good truck. I also didn't spare much expense on maintenance/upkeep and was sinking about $1,500-2,000 per year into her to keep her going strong.

My main concern came down to the possibility of needing a major repair. Anything significant would have cost at least 1/3 (possibly more) of what the truck was worth and regardless I would have had to eat that amount; i.e. either on the repair itself or resale value. Even something like the AC going out would have been a drag. Other things like new tires would be a $1,000 investment into a $10,000 truck, etc.

Although new vehicles can have issues, it's still less issues than 10 plus year old vehicles have. Not to mention, a lot of new car issues don't leave you stranded on the side of the interstate.

Hopefully, you have saved up a little coin by not having a truck note for a few years. Also, the OP's truck would fetch a decent price on the used truck market. Heck, I ended up selling my 2007 to CarMax for $8,800 and after putting up an additional $15K, I was already halfway to paying for a new truck.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:

I hate to state the obvious but any money you put into a vehicle (new or used) is an expense with very little return on investment. I understand the worry about breaking down in BFE with kids in the car but in the end if you've kept good maintenance on the current vehicle it's going to be similar odds on a breakdown with a known used or unproven new vehicle. JMO
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I kept the paid for ‘06 Silverado with 150,00 miles, and bought a new to me ‘11 Silverado with 40,000 miles on it. Four years later my ‘06 has 260,000 miles and still running strong and is still my daily driver. Now my 2011 truck is paid off with with only 70,000 miles . This system has worked good for me, but I like having the option of taking the new or old truck.

Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 07-16-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #24
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

When you factor cost per mile, including all repairs, there isn't much difference between new and used. In fact, many times the new cost less per mile is less than used ones.

I think the best time to get rid of one is 150-180K
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
tex8569
Six Point

Lots of good ideas to chew on. Obviously every type of living & driving situation is different which is the biggest factor. It's a real tough call for me as Im driven (pun intended) by reliability and not giving away dollars. It would be a much easier decision without thinking of little kids or if I was still living in Houston where every town I drive through to go hunting has a Chevy dealership and cell phone service.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #26
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
When you factor cost per mile, including all repairs, there isn't much difference between new and used. In fact, many times the new cost less per mile is less than used ones.

I think the best time to get rid of one is 150-180K
How did you come to this conclusion? Is it based on national statistics or personal experience? I know for me personally I used to spend on average $500 a month on my truck payment which equals 6k per year roughly and that is way more than my average repair/maintenance costs of about 1000 a year. These numbers are based on not have a truck payment since 2009 when a new truck was about 35k so I know that the monthly payment has greatly increased. Withstanding a catastrophic failure I canít imagine no payment +repair costs being anywhere close to the equivalent to truck payment+repair costs. IMHO
Old 07-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #27
BrianL
Pope & Young

10 years in the car business and 20 years financing them.

A vehicle is just a machine and has a life span. Figuring out how many miles it will last is the trick. Even though they can be repaired or replaced forever, at some point it just isn't cost effective.

My example is comparing buying a 80-100k mile vehicle and driving it to 200k vs buying a new one and driving it to 200k miles. New is almost always cheaper.
Cost/200k
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
How did you come to this conclusion? Is it based on national statistics or personal experience? I know for me personally I used to spend on average $500 a month on my truck payment which equals 6k per year roughly and that is way more than my average repair/maintenance costs of about 1000 a year. These numbers are based on not have a truck payment since 2009 when a new truck was about 35k so I know that the monthly payment has greatly increased. Withstanding a catastrophic failure I canít imagine no payment +repair costs being anywhere close to the equivalent to truck payment+repair costs. IMHO
Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #28
BrianL
Pope & Young

Vs

Used cost/(200-current mileage)

Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #29
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Vs

Used cost/(200-current mileage)

So the car salesman says buying a car is the best choice just kidding. I see your point. But I have had better luck than average on repairs I guess. My last truck was a 2001 Chevy 2500 w/ 160k bought for 9k drove it 5 years spent 2500 on it in repairs plus maintenance total of 11500 spent. Sold it at 245k miles for 4800 and put towards a 2003 2500 dirtymax w/120k miles that I picked up for 14k. So at this point Iím into this truck for 9800$, can sell it all day long for 16k+ and have not been making 600$ a month payments for the last 5 yrs or the next 5
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #30
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Buy a cheaper commuter car for work/getting around and use the truck when you need it. That's what I do. Got a lower mileage paid off Tundra sitting in the driveway that stays hooked up to the boat.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #31
Worksalot
Eight Point

I’m no expert on anything, but the cost of full coverage insurance on a new pickup should also be weighed when comparing expenses on buying an older, used pickup.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
tex8569
Six Point

I know when Im pricing trucks I typically divide it into a cost per year (10 years) or cost per mile (150-200k) in order to put used trucks on a level playing field and then see what the cheaper option is. For instance when I bought the truck that started this discussion it was much better value to buy new than used (2008 high gas prices and recession). Hell the dealer gave me a discount to get 6.0 L.