Annual cost of owning a diesel truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input, everyone.
    I should have mentioned originally that I will be pulling a travel trailer regularly with the family all over texas and it's not a matter of being able to afford the maintenance cost, it's simply understanding what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
      I should have mentioned originally that I will be pulling a travel trailer regularly with the family all over texas and it's not a matter of being able to afford the maintenance cost, it's simply understanding what to expect.
      Expect to pay more at the pump for fuel.
      Expect to pay for DEF.
      Expect for filters, oil changes, and other maintenance items to cost more.
      Expect to not notice the trailers behind you.
      Expect to feel safer towing the trailers.
      Expect to be able to tow the trailers wherever you want.
      Expect to have opinions of who and who cant own a diesel thrown at you.
      Expect to have someone say "you should delete it" to you a minimum of 3 times a day.
      Expect to google deletion kits a minimum of 3 times a week.
      Expect to enjoy it.

Comment

If you're buying new.....look into a service contract. You can save about 50% over doing it yourself and never having to lay down under the truck. The older I get, the less value I see in being able to say " I do all my own maintenance "
        This is how I am too.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          Diesel trucks are made for work
          Not to drive around and look pretty

I like my diesel grocery getter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            Expect to pay more at the pump for fuel.
            Expect to pay for DEF.
            Expect for filters, oil changes, and other maintenance items to cost more.
            Expect to not notice the trailers behind you.
            Expect to feel safer towing the trailers.
            Expect to be able to tow the trailers wherever you want.
            Expect to have opinions of who and who cant own a diesel thrown at you.
            Expect to have someone say "you should delete it" to you a minimum of 3 times a day.
            Expect to google deletion kits a minimum of 3 times a week.
            Expect to enjoy it.
            Pretty true.

Oil changes are getting very close in cost to gas, because most new gas engines require synthetic oil and 6 quarts. Not many synthetic oils made that will handle diesel engine compression, and Rotella is the go to oil for diesels. Fuel filters have to be replace every 12-15K miles and normally cost about $80. If you get into repairs after warranty it is VERY expensive. A cheap diesel repair is $2K, and can easily go $6K. Turbos, injectors, lift pumps, regen crap are all expensive and do go out.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              Pretty true.

Oil changes are getting very close in cost to gas, because most new gas engines require synthetic oil and 6 quarts. Not many synthetic oils made that will handle diesel engine compression, and Rotella is the go to oil for diesels. Fuel filters have to be replace every 12-15K miles and normally cost about $80. If you get into repairs after warranty it is VERY expensive. A cheap diesel repair is $2K, and can easily go $6K. Turbos, injectors, lift pumps, regen crap are all expensive and do go out.
              Im sorry.... what?

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                Im sorry.... what?
                Maybe I should have said, "not all" instead of "not many"

There are more synthetics being made for diesels now, than just 4 or 5 years ago, but many oils don't meets the the API standards for diesel. It will say which Cert API in your manual.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  Maybe I should have said, "not all" instead of "not many"

There are more synthetics being made for diesels now, than just 4 or 5 years ago, but many oils don't meets the the API standards for diesel. It will say which Cert API in your manual.
                  I've always run Amsoil in everything since I started driving. Had bypass systems on some of my vehicles, but... it might be hard to stomach it at 12 qts!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                    What size travel trailer.. ?

I've been down that road a couple of times and the 3/4 ton is pretty limited in payload, especially fully loaded and a diesel... I ended up trading my '12 F250 in on a '15 F350 dually because my new 5th wheel greatly exceeded the payload of my F250... You might not need a dually but the SRW F350 is not a great deal more than the F250 and has a good bit more payload...

Comment

My 2015 F250 needs servicing every 7500 miles or sooner (the on board computer monitors the oils lifecycle) for just the oil change (at the dealer), tire rotation and other checks I paid $103, my last service required a fuel filter change (to include the same stuff as the last) and cost $267. Fuel filter is serviced every 15000 miles.

Comment

i have a 2014 f250 Diesel and love it. The cost of ownership hasn't seemed that much more for everyday comparison but there are a few things to consider I suppose.
                        ***Diesel truck in general cost more than a half ton. (The new ford diesel are priced sky high right now)
                        ***Diesel cost more at the pump than gas. (you don't get better gas mileage than a gas truck or at least i don't, about the same)
                        Diesel Exhaust fluid every 500-1000 miles or so. (typically $15)
                        ***Oil Change more expensive
                        ***Bigger tires cost more to replace
                        ***Little service checks that the gas trucks don't typically have to have.
                        Last edited by Fmjag64; 12-19-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I do oil changes at 5k when the truck is new . . I figure I'll call my 2017 new until its got around 25k miles . . . .I'll most likely end up sending a sample to blackstone (or whatever they're called)

Oil change are 2-3x of normal gasser i pay it because i want a diesel . . . my 11 that has 230k miles on it I changed the oil with synthetic every 10k miles. Def costs next to nothing and needs filling around every 10k miles. The 2017 has more DEF capacity then the 11-16 which i one of the many things i like better on this truck.

I'm sure if I compared the maintenance to my son's f150 i'd be paying more . . . . but not enough for me to want to lose the power and long term life.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                            What size travel trailer.. ?

I've been down that road a couple of times and the 3/4 ton is pretty limited in payload, especially fully loaded and a diesel... I ended up trading my '12 F250 in on a '15 F350 dually because my new 5th wheel greatly exceeded the payload of my F250... You might not need a dually but the SRW F350 is not a great deal more than the F250 and has a good bit more payload...
                            The weight you will tow regularly is the biggest consideration in buying a diesel I think. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Towing 6000 pounds I have occasionally wished for a diesel when going up a freeway on ramp. Were I to tow even more I think I'd want the diesel for sure. But less, the 6.4 Hemi does it just fine.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                              i have a 2014 f250 Diesel and love it. The cost of ownership hasn't seemed that much more for everyday comparison but there are a few things to consider I suppose.
                              ***Diesel truck in general cost more than a half ton. (The new ford diesel are priced sky high right now)
                              ***Diesel cost more at the pump than gas. (you don't get better gas mileage than a gas truck or at least i don't, about the same)
                              Diesel Exhaust fluid every 500-1000 miles or so. (typically $15)
                              ***Oil Change more expensive
                              ***Bigger tires cost more to replace
                              ***Little service checks that the gas trucks don't typically have to have.
                              i think you mean def is 5k 10k not 500-1000.

My truck needs about a 2.5 gallon jug for 5k

Comment

Go check the cost of DPF filter replacement and fuel injectors before you make a final decision. Just saying..

Comment

Working...
                                X