Truck gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck gun

Narrowed it down to Ruger american, savage axis, TC compass.

Calibers I’m considering: 243,7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor

Mainly to shoot varmits but may take it on an exotic hunt as well.

Something I can throw in the utv and take off or leave it in the truck when driving around. ( not overnight)

Let’s here some suggestions and why.

Also thinking of a low power variable scope. 1x6 or 2x7

I was at Wally World about a week ago. Noticed they now have the Savage Axis heavy barrel in 6.5 creedmore now. That would be my choice. Has the accu-trigger, bull barrel w/crowned muzzle, a cheesy but functional Bushnell scope and synthetic stock in MO brush camo...all this for the low low price of $389...[emoji106]

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine is the Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster. It has a 16" barrel, very handy in a UTV or small blind. I have a 4-12x44 Nikon on it because it was on sale, going to put a different scope on soon.

For the mainly varmints I would get the .243.

But I think a Ruger American in the 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 would be perfect. Or you can get the hammer like I did.

Comment

I carry an AR in 300BLK

It shoots great out to 500, I’ve killed varmints over 300 (pig and coyote). TAC-TX 110gn projectile over H110.

It wears a SWFA 6x, and I dial my shots. It has been plenty.

That said, I’m putting together a 6.5 CM. Ruger American Predator. It has a cheap scope (that appears to be reliable thus far), I’m waiting on Magpul to bring their stock to market, then I’ll proceed with load development (even after adding fiberglass to the forend, and filling the butt with silicone, it’s a noodly stock). It shoots pretty good for now.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

No personal experience with the Savage Axis, but had/have the other two.

Magazine fit and funtion is a little better on the Ruger and trigger is easier to adjust.

Bolt and action felt better on the TC Compass. It was also threaded, without having a heavy barrel.

Both shot MOA out of the box, after adjusting the trigger to my liking. I would be happy with either and would probably grab whichever one was currently on sale.

Comment

If you can find Savage 24 it makes a great truck gun for ranch

223/20ga combination is great from snakes to yotes to pigs

Comment

Always been a Savage fan, but I love my Ruger American in .270.
              Just bought the compass on sale in 6.5 creedmore.
              Both are very accurate. Lightened the trigger on each.
              Hunted both this weekend.
              I prefer the Ruger for trigger and action.

Comment

I can get the Ruger for $369, tc compass for $300 and the savage axis for $270
                All + tax

I do like the magpul stock and that’s what is holding me back. I have an american in 223 that I thought about putting the magpul on. Wife gave the go ahead on a new rifle. What to do, what to do. And before anyone says it, I can’t swing both right now.

Comment

When the scope is set for 1x you can keep both eyes open for leading a moving target. I like that.

2x minimum magnification will do it too, but it feels kind weird.

Comment

Ruger American ranch in 6.5 grendel with the best 1-4 or 1-6 optic you can afford. Would be good medicine on all small to medium sized game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will add the little cz 527 carbine in 6.5 grendel would also be a great truck gun but might be over budget

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        I will add the little cz 527 carbine in 6.5 grendel would also be a great truck gun but might be over budget

The carbine version only comes in 223 or 7.62x39. They are sweet little guns

Comment

They make a short barrel Ruger American in 7.62x39 that would be a great truck gun.

Comment

I can’t believe nobody has said anything about the 7mm-08

Comment

20” barreled 7-08... Light, short, deadly, lots of good factory ammo

Comment

Working...
                              X