No announcement yet.

Tankless Water Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need one in centerville but our well water is very cold. I have a feeling its gonna be hard to get one that can bring the temp up fast enough

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
      I can't tolerate the low flow rate when demand is high.
      This!! Plus we have very hard water and it didn't last but 2 years before we had to replace it. Every builder I have talked too recently hates them due to problems. Maybe it's just the water in the area I am in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 Rinnai propane heaters. I run water through a softener before it enters the tanks. They hardly use much propane. In 3 years, we have never run out of hot water, and we even hosted an event with 12 teenagers. I have no cons on Rinnai Heaters, almost 4 years on them both and one of them is an outside unit attached to the wall.

Electric one's do not last long.
        Hard water is bad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          I need one in centerville but our well water is very cold. I have a feeling its gonna be hard to get one that can bring the temp up fast enough
          It will just slow the flow rate down, the water will be hot ( temp. you set it at)at the faucet just as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
            This!! Plus we have very hard water and it didn't last but 2 years before we had to replace it. Every builder I have talked too recently hates them due to problems. Maybe it's just the water in the area I am in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            This is why I am so surprised at all the folks here that like them. Or don't have problems. But it's good to here, we make a good money putting them in and service calls.

Comment

Critter69 seems to agree with everything I would say on the subject.

Don't get one to save money. The cost difference would take 20 years to make up over a traditional tank type.

Well water is very hard on them. On regular water they need to be cleaned once a year. On well water or a private water supply company that pumps water from a well and distributes it the cleaning process should be about every 3-4 months.

If the right valve kit is installed they are not difficult to clean if you are somewhat handy.

Tankless are pretty nice but for the right circumstances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 of them for almost 5 years. 2 in house one in game room/ mancave all on well water run through a water softener with no problems. They are all installed in an enclosed box flush mounted on the exterior of house so if they leak or something they will run outside of house. The one in gameroom/carport is hooked to a blend valve so I can wash cooler or vehicle with hot or warm water. Love them.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                  If your water has lots of salt in in run away very fast. If you are using it for high volume do the same. I has four of these units in my restaurant and we replaced them three times each until they stopped warranting them. They can not handle panhandle hard water.
                  We're on a well in Lubbock, and I just bought a house with a tankless water heater, and my jaw dropped when I saw the bill for the install. Sure I like ease, but if it ever goes out I'm likely putting a tank heater since I can do that for $400 since I'm a DIY guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CCRanch View Post
                    anybody used one to heat up a pool?
                    They say not to use the tank less for pool or spa ( says right on the box). I don't think they can handle the chemicals, copper heat exchanger. but I'll tell what works good as a red neck pool heater. I have a standered water heater 40 gal. That I removed from a house four years ago. Sits out in the back yard summer and winter here. And I use it to heat my grand daughters pool ( in the summer, here) I have a small recirculater pump on it and it's just enough to keep a flow going. I have a gas line from my meter hooked up. A hose ( with pump) to the water heater and a hose back to the pool. And it flat out heats that pool in no time. And if you want to use it as a hot tub, give it over night and it can be so hot you can't sit in it. The pump continues to circulate water through the tank, but the tank does not fire very often at all once you get the temp right. And it was free. We keep the water ( grand daughter likes it) at around 90- 98 degrees. The pool is 2000 gallons.
                    Last edited by critter69; 03-12-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                      I've had one for 6 years, have never cleaned or serviced it....works fine..probably jinxed myself .
                      You guys have much warmer weather there, summer and winter( and incoming water temp. must be quite high) and must have good water quality overall, it sounds like. Take the lid off one and look inside, they can be ( are) a sevice night mare. But people will for pay it.
                      Last edited by critter69; 03-12-2017, 11:02 PM.

Comment

tankless hot water heater

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                        I have had one in my shop for nearly 6 years,, I love it , very small electric unit, but more than enough hot water for the shower and faucet,,,, which are both only used on occasion,,, now and then I turn the hot water on just to let it run a few minutes,, I don't think the shower has been used in 2 months,,, it is a lot cheaper than a tank would have been keeping water hot for the occasional use

What brand did you go with, its just for our cabin, not for high volume daily.

Comment

I have a Bosch Aqua Star in the house.

Been there since 2002, when we remodeled, no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just took our electric tankless out and installed a 40 gallon water heater and we are MUCH happier. Our electric tankless went out at 5 years old and was horrible at high demand compared to old school tanks. I talked to two plumbers before making a decision to go back to a traditional water heater. Both had the opinion that with electric, they would stay away from tankless and depending on the unit, a gas tankless can be good but has drawbacks.

Comment

We love ours!

Comment

If we only use it for a weekend a month, will it gum up or anything. Might use it 6 days a month.

Comment

Working...
                                X