No announcement yet.

Will Plowing Field Spook Deer/Change Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd agree. Things that are loud and obvious don't seem to bother deer as they sort of have this, "If it's not sneaking up on me, it's not hunting me" mentality. A lot of times when I'm being loud and tooling around at my place, deer walk right by. You try to go tiptoeing through the woods and every deer within half a mile is on alert.

Comment

Absolutely will not do harm in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Adthomps View Post
        This is the exactly where I’m leaning. If he disappears before season then I’ll plant as soon as Weather permits. If he stays around I don’t want to risk it or have any doubts about how I screwed it up. I won’t ever see another deer like him in my lifetime I’m sure and I would have nightmares about it for the rest of my life if I thought I screwed up a chance to get a shot on him
        Like others have said, I doubt the activity from plowing and planting the field will run him off. Whatever is growing in the field might be one of his summer food sources, but a ton of natural browse this year probably means your buck isn't traveling very far to get food right now.

Plowing it for planting might disrupt his pattern slightly, but I doubt he goes far, or disappears from your cameras.

By October, a fallow field of dried Johnson Grass and dried sunflowers probably isn't all that desirable a food source. Certainly not when compared to a sprouting wheat field.

I think its too early to plant food plots in the Abilene area anyway, so I would keep my feeders full, watch your cameras, and plant some of the field(maybe 5 acres) closest to your stand around Sep 15th - time it with a rain if you can.
        If he's hitting your feeder on the regular, I doubt he has the urge to go anywhere until Mid October when the pre-rut gets cranking.

Get your bow stand set up to perfection by early September, turn your corn feeder way up, wait for the perfect wind, and kill him on your first sit of the year. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by mmays113 View Post
          Agreed with others that this early should not be a problem. Do you have a trail cam pic?

I’m not gonna post any pics until I’m holding him in my hands. Don’t want to jinks anything.

Comment

Deer aren’t scared of my tractor, actually a good time to take pics.

Comment

Not at all! At our place, hogs sometimes follow the tractor around getting some fresh grubs.

Comment

To me, it's not about the tractor. It's about removing cover. The fastest way to not see mature bucks. I wouldn't touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  To me, it's not about the tractor. It's about removing cover. The fastest way to not see mature bucks. I wouldn't touch it.

This was the reasoning behind posting the question. Exactly what I was thinking about.

Comment

Its really hard to say because we don't have all the details. Is that 30 field next to your setup? Do you know for a fact the buck is bedding in that area? Is there alot of cover on your place?

Once that velvet comes off they become a totally different animal and change their behavior and patterns regardless.

Comment

Working...
                    X