Best blind material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best blind material?

I am fixing to start on a new 4x4 box and ground bow blind (octagon or octagon in front and just square the back) My question is what is the best stuff. I dont want to use tin or metal, too noisy. I was either going to use OSB and prime, paint and seal it or use the polyefilen vinyl that moarch uses on some of there blinds, I guess it is similar to coroplast. The weight is an obvious thing but what I want to know is about the OSB. Has anybody used this and painted it and how long did it last. The vinyl will last 6-8 years. The OSB would save mucho money, its like 5 dollars a sheet at lowes. The vinyl you have to use like roof cap nails or it would rip out. Just seems to fragile to me. Any suggestions.

Sounds Like You Have A Good Idea , I Would Caution You On Osb I Used Some One Time And It Works Good If You Seal It . The Problem Is Not The Face Of The Wood But The Edge . It Is Impossible To Seal Any Water That Gets In The Edge Will Eventually Destroy It. I Would Recommend Ply-wood But Like You Said Its Very Expensive , On The Other Hand It Will Last You A Long Time. Good Luck And Good Hunting!!!!

Comment

I've use plywood on elevated blinds and it hold up pretty well if you don't mind painting it every year or two.
      I have 5 more to build and I'm going to use prepainted metal on 1 in sq tubing studs with 1 in foam between the studs

Comment

What about the 1/4 inch Luan board? Light and its plywood. just thinner, the vinyl would be nice but afraid it wont hold.

Comment

I built a nice 4x8 ground blind using OSB, first I treated it with Thompsons Water Seal and then painted it. It looked great for the first season, but by the third season the edges were expanding and coming apart, once that started it didn't last much longer... as mentioned Boss the edges are hard to keep sealed. Next time I'll use regular plywood and caulk / trim the edges. JMO.

Comment

Think Luan board will be the ticket, light, 9 dollars a sheet, using kilz primer/sealer with olive drab tint, put the tin flashing on all corners and caulk, then use expanding foam inside on all corners. Gonna use plywood for floor and roof and cover with roll roofing. Will use tin flashing above windows to prevent dripping in between. I have eliminated OSB from consideration.

Comment

You might want to take a look at Plas-Tex polly wall that they sell at Lowes. I built a blind out of it last spring and it shows no wear. It is lightweight and waterproof.

Here is a link showing my blind.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=39477

Comment

Well the tyler lowes sucks, i have not seen anything like that. Where did you find it? I am supposing since everything I just read means it is interior use. Does this mean it will rot and get brittle. Dont think water will hurt it but what about the brutal west texas sun?
                Last edited by Drenalin_Ag99; 12-26-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I Forgot To Mention My Buddy Used Concrete Board He Got From A Construction Site He Was On I Dont Know The Cost But Lowes Carries It , It Will Last About 20 Yrs .

Comment

Fiberglass. Last forever.

Comment

The fiberglass shower board over 3/8 plywood inch is the way to go. Not too cheap but will last forever.

Comment

Mossy Oak Ply Wood

Last Year I Was Walking Around Lowes And I Noticed They Were Selling Ply Wood With A Mossy Oak Camo Pattern On The Exterior I Believe It Was Around 20 Dlls A Sheet .

Comment

gonna go with the smartsiding, will last a long time per reports, know a guy who used it on his shed and it still looks new.

Comment

Originally posted by Drenalin_Ag99 View Post
                            gonna go with the smartsiding, will last a long time per reports, know a guy who used it on his shed and it still looks new.
                            Great material for construction. If this blind will be elevated, you'll need a front end loader or crane.

Comment

Originally posted by krapyowtla View Post
                              Last Year I Was Walking Around Lowes And I Noticed They Were Selling Ply Wood With A Mossy Oak Camo Pattern On The Exterior I Believe It Was Around 20 Dlls A Sheet .
                              Have a friend make a blind with it and after 1 year it is rotting. It is not plywood, but OSB. Doesn't hold up to water exposure.

Comment

Working...
                              X