Guide gratuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide gratuity

I'm taking my wife o a nilgai hunt in a couple weeks and I wanted to see what is a customary percentage for guide gratuity?

I know this is all dependent on overall experience, guide effort, shot opportunities, etc. but this will be first guided hunt and I am clueless. I would assume gratuity to the staff in the lodge/cabin are also customary.

10-15%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10%

Comment

Only guided hunts I’ve been on is geese/crane and we all tipped the guide 20%.

I would say anywhere between 10-15% depending on experience and what kind of game and price of hunt.

Comment

10-15% if the guide does his job and nothing else.
          I've had guides that have busted their a-- for me and for some reason I just didn't/ couldn't close the deal. In that case I tip 'em more. Aint their job to make sure I get an animal just give me the best available opportunity they can.

Comment

I would say start at 10% for the guide, 5% for the cook. That covers they do guide stuff and nothing more, and they have food for you, and nothing more. Anything beyond that, tip goes up.

Our cook was awesome, I think she got a little under 10%, where as our guide was a good entertainer, and he tried to put us on elk, and he got a little more than 10%. We didn't come home with any animals that trip, but they created a great atmosphere to be around.

Comment

So what do you consider as "guide stuff"? How can one go above and beyond?

Comment

I have one that goes beyond “above and beyond.” I gave him a Halon 32.

Comment

15 percent

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    I have one that goes beyond “above and beyond.” I gave him a Halon 32.
                    If he is the guy I am thinking of he has been putting it to good use.

Comment

15% was the norm when I was a part time guide in my youth. One client gave me his Swarovski's binos after he gut shot a nice buck and I cleaned it in the brush so his father in law couldn't see the shot, which I then quickly sold for $500 because I was bright like that and I already had some Nikons...

Comment

The better question might be... percentage of what? Unless you are paying a guide fee, what are you going to base the percentage from?

I like to look at it from what they are being paid and what effort out of the bigger picture are they putting into it.

Based on percentage of a food bill alone, I might seem very generous at a small café with reasonable food prices... and may look like a scrooge at a 5 star restaurant.

EDIT: If the owner isn't your guide, ask them what is appropriate for their staff. They generally know their staff best and can help you show them gratitude that is meaningful for them if you can't figure that out on your own while you are with them.
                        Last edited by SwampRabbit; 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          The better question might be... percentage of what? Unless you are paying a guide fee, what are you going to base the percentage from?

I like to look at it from what they are being paid and what effort out of the bigger picture are they putting into it.

Based on percentage of a food bill alone, I might seem very generous at a small café with reasonable food prices... and may look like a scrooge at a 5 star restaurant.

EDIT: If the owner isn't your guide, ask them what is appropriate for their staff. They generally know their staff best and can help you show them gratitude that is meaningful for them if you can't figure that out on your own while you are with them.
                          15% of the cost of the hunt is what I was referring to. Are you saying you tip a flat fee regardless of the cost of a meal?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                            If he is the guy I am thinking of he has been putting it to good use.
                            Same big goon you’re thinking of.

Comment

When I guided years ago I got anything from not even a thank you to a matching set/pair of S&W Xframe 500 magnum and 460 Magnum revolvers. All I guided was hog hunts for a ranch that ran both high fence and free range gun hunts.
                              10-15% of hunt cost was about average.

Comment

Working...
                              X