droptine buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

droptine buck

We have a young double droptine buck on our trail cams. This is our first year on the lease, so I do not have any info on him last year. He is young and his overall rack is not big. I know the water and browse situation has been much better than it has been in the past, but they also do not feed protein (something that I am changing next year). He will be allowed to grow by my wife and I (as long as the other yahoos on the lease leave him as well). Is it likely that he will continue to grow the drops year after year? It would be nice to take him as a mature deer with the drops. Thanks in advance for the info
    Attached Files
    Last edited by agvet2004; 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM.

I hope he makes it.

Comment

Beautiful young buck.. He'll be a fun one to watch for the next few years...

Comment

If the range/weather conditions stay fair he will most likely have drop tines or a drop tine. On drought years he could be just another normal looking mainframe deer. Start looking for features on his body now in efforts to identify him later if he changes due to a drought year. Most people will not let a droptine buck go no matter what the age so try and talk to your other members. I would put him on the no shoot list for a couple years and see what happens.
        I've shot 1 droptine buck and he was older than dirt. We have had 2 others since then that have got a pass but haven't been seen since. Maybe this year the double drop buck we had 3 years ago shows up at 5.5 old now and has become a Monster. That's why you manage!
        Good luck with him.

Comment

Let me come out there and catch him, those are the type of genetics you want running around

He may not always have double drop tines, next year he may not have any, the following year he may have just one etc..... deer like this gets guys excited who have high fenced ranches, who feed hundreds of thousands of protein each year, and have some of the best management programs around.

Comment

nice buck for the mason area....i hope he would make it through the season..

Comment

Very nice buck!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                If the range/weather conditions stay fair he will most likely have drop tines or a drop tine. On drought years he could be just another normal looking mainframe deer. Start looking for features on his body now in efforts to identify him later if he changes due to a drought year. Most people will not let a droptine buck go no matter what the age so try and talk to your other members. I would put him on the no shoot list for a couple years and see what happens. I've shot 1 droptine buck and he was older than dirt. We have had 2 others since then that have got a pass but haven't been seen since. Maybe this year the double drop buck we had 3 years ago shows up at 5.5 old now and has become a Monster. That's why you manage!
                Good luck with him.
                He is definetly on ours. I am afraid that when I talk to the other four guys, they will start to actively look for him (if it is brown, its down. Plus they are a little resentful about us being on the place to begin with) I figured even if he does not have a drop or 2 next year, hopefully he is at least passing on the genes for it.

Comment

i hope he makes it but i would think if conditions stay good he will keep them

Comment

Find the sheds

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                      If the range/weather conditions stay fair he will most likely have drop tines or a drop tine. On drought years he could be just another normal looking mainframe deer. Start looking for features on his body now in efforts to identify him later if he changes due to a drought year. Most people will not let a droptine buck go no matter what the age so try and talk to your other members. I would put him on the no shoot list for a couple years and see what happens. That's why you manage!
                      Good luck with him.
                      X2 That's a special young deer.

Comment

Yes it is very likely he'll be a drop tine for years to come.

Comment

Nice deer hope he makes it.

Comment

He would be a "MORATORIUM BUCK" on our place in western Mason co. anyone would get in trouble is they shot him, and I agree with the previous post about trying to see some other characteristics about the deer besides his horns that can identify him, so everyone can pass on him for another couple of years, nice looking deer.

Comment

nice young buck. we are a county over from you and have never seen a drop tine in our herd. I hope one day we are lucky enough to have one show up

Comment

Working...
                              X