2nd yr at spring,summer food plots long read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd yr at spring,summer food plots long read

I have really enjoyed my time at the farm (128 acres) building and planting food plots. This is my second yr at food plotting, but I thought I would pass on what I have learned. First fall plot was with a UTV along with ATV food plot equipment. And now with a tractor and equipment. Picking up new or used equipment as needed. it just takes Money, Money and more Money, There are no cheep hobies
    With about 6 total acres done last spring, in 1/2 to 1and 1/2 acre plots. I wanted to see what the deer like best and what did best on the property in Harrison Co. Near Caddo lake. I planted Eaglebrand soybeans, Iron clay peas, lablab, Deer vetch (Americanjointvetch), Alyce clover, Corn and Milo and a product called Mean bean. And I also grew big Weeds
    I learned that deer like to eat the weeds when less than a couple feet tall but passed them up when head tall.
    The deer loved the soybeans but they had to be behind elec fence, if to survive past the 6" new growth. More money
    Iron clay peas - deer loved them but again behind elec fence.
    Alyce clover- deer loved them no fence needed
    Deer vetch - Hard to get it going, think it needs a place where the soil has more moisture. The deer like deer vetch.
    LabLab - Will not plant again. High cost and poor growth.
    Mean bean - Was ok, but I was not pleased and will not replant.
    Milo - planted with soybeans and the Iron clay peas, and one day all the heads were gone.
    Corn - Had around 500 stalks planted in and around some of the different plots and the deer loved them but did not last long after the corn was ripe. Funny how the deer know when the corn is ready for picking. Corn is there one day and gone the next. I also like the screen affect it gives.
    This year, doing the Eaglebrand soybeans again, I like the Roundup ready because the weeds grow tall in E Texas. So spray and spray again and again.
    And Iron clay peas are great also but not RR so weeds come into play. Alyce clover, Milo and some more corn but this year I plan to get some of the corn before the deer eat all of it
    As you can see, I am new to this but I really like watching the Bucks in velvet, and the fawns in the food plots in the summer
Working...
X