Help Build me a 308 bolt gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Build me a 308 bolt gun

I need some input on a rifle. I want a .308, but I want something at least semi custom. I know there are quite a few great shooting factory rifles. I’m not interested in that. I had given thought to getting a Remington 700 aac-sd and having the action cleaned up and putting a new trigger and stock on it. But dang, by the time I do that, I feel like I would have spent close to $1500 at least.

I most likely will never shoot paper past 600yds. I’d like for it to be on a left handed action, but I’ve shoot right handed rifles my whole life, so I can live with that.
    Suggestions on bbl length, twist and manufacturer, stock and trigger are appreciated.

Rifle will be suppressed and I plan on shooting subs from it some.

Savage axis, boyds stock, barrel of your choice, timney trigger, and use all that money you saved on glass and ammo

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demilo78 View Post
      Savage axis, boyds stock, barrel of your choice, timney trigger, and use all that money you saved on glass and ammo

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Savage are shooters. Timmy’s trigger and have it bedded and go they have a large selection of models if you opt for the higher models add trigger and shoot

Comment

��

He wants semi custom at the min and the first suggestion is savage axis

Comment

Mine’s for sale

Comment

If your wanting a semi custom you might as well except the fact your going to be running 1250-1500 minimum on it. You can get some of that money back by selling your take off parts. The old barrel, trigger, and stock. Starting with a remington 700 is probably the easiest way to get there but getting a Savage model 10 would be just as easy and probably around the same price.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

What is your budget ? ... $1000, $1500, $2000

Here are some numbers to ponder:

$350 - Remington 700 action, donor from used rifle purchase
              $625 - Send action to PacNor: true action, select match stainless barrel, chamber of choice, installed on your action
              $125 - threaded for suppressor
              $250 - used HS stock
              $115 - Timney trigger ($200 for a Jewell trigger)

Comment

I’d like to keep in under $2,500 for sure. I’ve priced around some stuff already. The barrel and trigger are my biggest holdups id guess.

Comment

both (trigger/barrel) are a matter of personal choice as I'd lean heavily towards a Jewell

30 caliber barrels are pretty much available for purchase off the shelf with no wait time. Just depends if you want a .... Lilja, HART, PacNor, Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, Hawk Hill, Rock Creek, etc.... figure $325 - 350 for a non-fluted, s.s. match grade barrel. Metal work and chambering will vary from $250 to $450 depending on GS

Comment

Just put ramage barrel on it do most of work your self. I would go trigger tech diamond .
                    Last edited by Rem40x; 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I really like the looks of the new Larue Siete. Not really a semi-custom, but not off the shelf either. Pick your barrel length and stock and it might scratch that itch.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                        I’d like to keep in under $2,500 for sure. I’ve priced around some stuff already. The barrel and trigger are my biggest holdups id guess.
                        Scope and rings included in this budget? Blake is probably the go to on getting the most for your money.

Comment

Can definitely spend some money quick with this hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                            Scope and rings included in this budget? Blake is probably the go to on getting the most for your money.

Nah. Just for the rifle itself. It may take me another year to come up with the money for the scope setup I want on it.

Comment

I'd hunt classifieds finding someone dumping their custom .308 for a creedmor or another flavor of the month.

I got my semi-custom .308 for what the stock, trigger, and barrel would've cost not including any of the smith work or the action price.

Comment

Working...
                              X