Arrow weight- Heavy maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight- Heavy maybe

I got a new Superstition from Bob last month- have a dozen heritage 250's and have been trying to get them to shoot right. I have been adding weight and adding weight and finally got it right. I weighed the arrow and it weighed in at 709 grains counting the 140 grain head. I just got out of the backyard and put 4 arrows in about a fist size which is great for me at 12 yards. I backed up to 20 and shot about 10 inches low. Is this too much arrow for a begining shooter- Ive only been shooting a stick for about a year and change now. Will my eyes and arms just adjust after a while of shooting these arrows. Bow is 53# @ 29 inches. I have been shooting my 340 Axis out of it and it wasnt spined right either but they didnt drop near as much at 20 yards. Will I have to reteach myself out to 20 or will my mind and arms just adjust after 50 arrows or so. Only shot 4 at 20 because I limit my shooting to 24 arrows a day.

They recomend between 8 to 12 grain per lb. of bow weight. You have 13.3 grain per lb. of bow. you are a little heavy. Your eyes will adjust with practice, it might take a few days or weeks. that weight would should be ok at hunting ranges , say out to 15 yards but beyond that it is going to have a significant drop and be really slow.
    Now if you had the money i would buy some heritage 150's and shoot a lighter arrow.

Comment

I believe we should hunt with the heaviest arrow we can shoot accurately. So to answer your question, IMO you're not too heavy. You just need to limit yourself to 15 yard shots or less. I have been bowhunting with traditional bows for about 10 years now and have taken my share of animals. I have never taken a shot over 15 yards, which is my self-imposed limit. I will shoot 3-D targets as far out as you want to set them, but I'm not worried about wounding one of them.
      Your penetration will be so much better on game with the heavier arrows and a sharp, sharp broadhead.

Comment

I believe you will find that the 150s shoot better for you from a 53# bow. 709 grains is awful heavy for that weight of bow JMO

Comment

Sounds to heavy

Comment

Glen, I kind of agree with whats been said above. I like heavy arrows, but still like a little performance too. I like mine to be 640-670 grains out of a 63# recurve. I believe if you can get them to 540 grains you'll like the performance/trajectory better and you'll still get good penetration.

LD

Comment

Boy, this is a subject that can stir a hornet's nest. I like mine heavy too. Full length Carbonwood Vapor 4000's with 3 grain per inch tubes inside, tipped with Simmons 190 grain Interceptors and matching field points. That comes out to 625 grains. Call it medium heavy. I really don't think your 709's are too heavy at all. I'm shooting out of a 29.5"@51# bow so we're practically the same. For hunting, I'll keep to 15 or 20 yards max. For shooting? Ha! How far ya want to fling them? I've shot decently (that's a subjective word! ) out around 45 yards. Well, hits and misses on a deer target. Shoot more than you are now and the question you're asking will become a non-issue! Even if you only bump up your practice sessions by 10 arrows, that's a 50% increase in calibrating your mind's eye. Just don't carry a session until you're tired. Always put the bow down before you feel ready to quit. That way you're eager to shoot each and every time.

Final answer? There's folks shooting heavier arrows than us and they don't think twice about it. You get used to what's in your quiver pretty quick!

Now where's my 2 cents for a cup of coffee?

Comment

I like heavy too,but 13 gr or more is just too much. at 11-12 gr/# you get plenty of weight w/a nice flat arrow flight, which makes it easier to shoot good at 25-30yrds. not saying to shoot game at 30 yrds but doing it at the range makes that 12-17yrd shot at game much easier.

kirk

Comment

Working...
                X