Winchester 1892...Serial #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester 1892...Serial #4

Worth sharing if you are into this sort of goofy gun disease stuff...funny how a serial number can drive the price at times.

Bet it could share some stories...I don't own an 1892 & on the list. JMB has his hands on this model.
    Last edited by Artos; 04-23-2018, 06:00 PM.

Pretty cool.

Comment

The story that rifle can tell. Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.
      There is something about those old rifles, wood and blued steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
        The story that rifle can tell. Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.
        There is something about those old rifles, wood and blued steel.
        Blued steel that wasn't oiled often and still looks great.

Makes you hate the rifles sold today.

Comment

I have 3 and 5 maybe I should get 4.......

not

Comment

They were rust blued as I understand it & will ask my winchester guru buddy when they quit this process...very tedious & as I understand, they would hit it with a corrosive/acid creating a fine rust layer & then scrubbing with a very fine wire brush. Repeating the process which in turn made for a more protective (and handsome dark) finish vs todays hot blueing. They also hand lapped the barrels along with many hours of hand fitting.

Funny thing is this gun & I'm wagging on the price but guessing like what one would pay for a nice lunch or less 100+ years ago.

Comment

Curious on when the process switched if you find out.

My 35 remington was made in 1950 and it looks great for the age. It's a Marlin.

Comment

This same guy informed me Remington used a better & more expensive type of blueing back in the day as well & maybe what you have??

I only remember this as he has a model 725 that he is wanting me to buy. (the 725 was the answer to compete with the model 70 control feed)

I'll give him a shout.

Comment

Working...
                X