Clear All

Wow! Looks great!

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Iron clay peas is my go-to spring crop. Easy to grow, cheaper than soybeans, and high in protein. IMO, the only advantage beans have is the actual bean pods, but I always plant wheat in the fall.
          Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Six foot Land Pride heavy duty disc. Best disc I've ever owned.

Nice rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got some lime today ! After last Sunday's storms, I wasn't sure how wet it was gonna be in Trinity Co., but it must have rained so hard and fast that most of it ran off. I moved my tractor down yesterday and made a couple test passes with my disc and it wasn't too wet to plow, so I had the lime set up for this morning. Four-thirty came early !
              Attached Files

Comment

The plot above and below is about three quarters of an acre and took a ton and a half of lime.
                Attached Files

Comment

This plot is about two acres and got the rest of the five tons of lime. This is the finish pass with the disc.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is the finish pass with my homemade tire drag. About $40 total and an hour to build. In about three weeks to a month, I will plant iron/clay peas in both these plots. I think it's still a little cool to plant now. Some have already planted, but I'm waiting until the ground warms a little more. My buddy and myself will sit up on these plots with night vision for two nights following the planting to persuade the swine that peas are not good for optimal health. That, and I hate hogs !
                    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful stuff! What's the history with the land on the "non-pine" side of the plot? Logged a few years back?

I wish I could plow as straight as you

Comment

Thanks ! This is Brushy Creek, a large property cut into several different lease parcels. The whole property is in various stages of pine plantation with hardwood creek bottoms interspersed throughout. The lease on the left is roughly to our South. There is actually a high fence on two sides of the corner I hunt, but it's not truly a high fenced lease since there are open gates. I'm not familiar with all the leases, some may be completely high fenced.

The plot in the last picture is a spring/summer plot only, as it is normally downwind of where I hunt. Last year was the first time it was planted in anything. If you look closely, you can see the high fence on the left, and there's a dirt road just across it that accesses other leases. By the middle of September last year, the peas were gone except for the large part of the vines. If they are still viable by the middle of September, I'll just mow them down. Iron/clay peas can be as high as 30% in protein, way cheaper than feeding protein, and half of that feeding coons.

About the first of September, the small plot will be planted in a wheat/rye mix. I get lots of deer traffic in that plot !

As to the straight discing, this is the easiest soil I've ever worked. Very seldom do I have to do more than double disc it once with an angle in my disc gangs, then straighten them, and make one finishing pass. Double drag once, and ready to plant ! I may have to spray with gly before planting in three weeks or so, but gly or not, I'll just scratch the top, broadcast my fertilizer and peas, drag it down and I'm done. Which is a good thing, because I'm over two hours from home. I like growing food plots, but I could do without all the pulling a tractor around. I plant four different locations, at home, two in Rusk Co., and this one. I'm pretty busy at plotting time. It all pays off in the freezer !

Comment

Awesome, nice work!

Comment

Very nice work and property! Any pics of what was taken off it last year?

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                              Very nice work and property! Any pics of what was taken off it last year?
                              I have two with people in them that I don't have permission to post. Maybe I can duplicate them and color the faces out. In the meantime, I'll show you one I passed.......three times.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-07-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

This is one I had hoped to see. Big bodied mature deer, with not much headgear. I would have put him in the freezer after double tenderizing those steaks

Remember, the drought of 2011 hurt our five/six year old buck population because lots of fawns didn't make it. If we don't get a handle on hogs and coyotes we'll continue to see low recriutment. I don't get as many pics of fawns as I did a few years ago.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-07-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X