Meat thawed in deep freeze, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat thawed in deep freeze, now what?

We noticed this morning that our deep freeze in the garage wasnt cooling and all the meat inside has thawed to a slightly cool to the touch temperature.

There is a smell but I think it is from blood that leaked out the door, its an upright freezer. The smell is not "rotten."

Is this meat still good or do I have to cut my losses and toss all of it?

There are a couple deer from last year, the rest of my elk, and a brisket. Hate to loose all of it but do not want to get sick either.

Thanks for the help.

Same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. Everything went in the trash did not want to take a chance of it being bad. 3 deer gone.

Comment

Tbh bbq

Comment

Have a huge BBQ this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          Tbh bbq
          This happened to me too brother. Hurts to throw it all away! I wish I would've just had everyone over that night and cooked and gave out what I couldn't before it spoiled.

Comment

Pile it up on your lease and hunt Yotes.

Unless you know it's only been thawed a day or two, I wouldn't eat it.

Comment

Dog food... Sorry man, it sucks when that happens

Comment

Do a good look and smell test. If it's been thawed too long you should be able to tell. But any doubt, take it to the trash.

Comment

I push the boundary. But with out being able to see or small it, touch it. Can't help. Jay from tbh had same thing happen. I took the meat and we split it between a few tbh members. Everyone was fine. Think about other country's with open air markets. And the old days where fridges were not even invented. If the meat is cold and does not smell bad. Go for it. Also when you start to cook it you will know for sure. Google how long you can hang a carcass in a shed or shade with out refrigerator and make up your own mind. I was surprised the temps and length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pedernal View Post
                    tbh bbq

this!!!

Comment

Red meat I'd test it. Have before and no problems.....pork...worm food

Comment

It is perfectly safe to refreeze thawed meat; if you follow a few simple rules.

Use a meat thermometer: 40-140° is considered the danger zone for meat, this is where bacteria readily multiplies. Cool to the touch can be anything lower than about 85° (which is the rough temperature of our skin). So it is best to use a meat thermometer, stick it in the meat and check the actual temperature.

As a general rule it is considered safe to refreeze meat if the temperature has not risen above 90° for one hour.

If the time and temperature is in question smell it, rancid meat has a distinct smell; if it doesn't pass the smell test get rid of it.

Lastly, mark the refrozen meat and make sure to cook it thoroughly; to at least 160°, this will kill any bacteria.

Fresh is best, so you may loose some quality, but it is perfectly safe if you follow these guidelines.

Comment

If still cold its good. Get another freezer and transfer. Wipe the packages down good. I've had this happen a few times. It does suck!!!

Comment

Dang, this sucks....had it happen to me a fee years back. At least we're getting pretty close to season again.... sorry this happened. It really is a bummer. Hope you can salvage it.

Comment

If cool to the touch and still smells like meat, refreeze it. Exact same thing happened to me a few years back. Ate every single package of that meat and it turned out fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X