3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    Does it really matter? If it does.... it may be the wrong gal.
    This

Comment

I proposed with no ring, this was 22 years ago and I was a broke dikc. She actually had to use her credit to get it the next day.

But I made it right over time. I have re-proposed a few times and each time the ring was bigger. The last one was on our 15 year and it should be the last one...25K!

It was never about her wants as she had none. It was about making a statement that she is forever! and maybe a little guilt on what I spend on myself.

OP , its all about your woman's wants. I suggest Costco as well. I have buddies that went that route and got great deals.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
        and apparently there is a "rule" for this engagement ring stuff. I was informed an "acceptable" ring needs to be 3 months salary?

Have yall heard of this before? When did this come about?
        I think this is a jewelry store thing to max sales, and we get sucked into it. Who informed you of the 3x deal? If she told you and expects it then you need to decide how to proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          I think this is a jewelry store thing to max sales, and we get sucked into it. Who informed you of the 3x deal? If she told you and expects it then you need to decide how to proceed.
          She didnt tell me - co worker did, and then my Brother just got engaged and he is much younger, but was talking about this as well.

She has never given me a price or anything like that. She is just a great gal, I love the heck out of her, and can / like to do nice things for her.

3 months of my salary just makes me uncomfortable when I think about how much that is, lol.

Comment

I bought my wife's used off of Ebay. Yes she knows and yes she was thrilled. Been married 6 years and that ring (other than what it symbolizes) has made no impact on how our marriage has gone.

The ring is a ring; it's what you invest into your marriage between you and her that really makes an impact down the road.

Comment

I am sure the jewelry stores came up with the 3 months salary rule. I spent about 4 weeks pay AFTER taxes on the ring for my wife.

Comment

Don't overthink this. Decide on a $$$ amount you are good with and go find a ring. Whatever that amount is should be enough if she is the right partner for you. Good luck.

Comment

My wife used to be friends with this huge girl in Baton Rouge. Not joking, this girl was like 6'3, 300 easy. Also not real friendly. Would just clean out our pantry every time she came to visit.

When we got engaged, she literally looked at my wife's diamond and said, "Hmmm...it's pretty, but if it's not 2 karats, the answer is "no"."

Remember laughing to myself and thinking it probably wouldn't be an issue...

Comment

I think they were quoting the rule on the dollar amount the bride should spend on your new rifle for a wedding gift.

Comment

Get her what you can afford and if that's not good enough for her dump her and find someone else. Been married to my with 25 years on April 17. Got her a ring that was 1/2 a weeks pay at the time. She loved it even though it didn't put me in hock. If the woman u mare gonna marry tells u how much u gotta spend to make her happy she's no th worth it and your a **** fool for doin it

Comment

HAHAHAHA no.

Comment

Originally posted by clayree View Post
                          That was a saying created & promoted by the female species.
                          Diamonds...

That'll shut her up.

--- Ron White

That being said, I consider myself one of the "lucky" ones. My wife has never been a big fan of jewelry in general. 50 years old and she's never even had her ears pierced.
                          Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 04-02-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

3 months is just ridiculous and not in touch with reality. If I can't spend that much on a gun I'm sure not spending it on a ring.lol

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                              She has never given me a price or anything like that. She is just a great gal, I love the heck out of her, and can / like to do nice things for her.

3 months of my salary just makes me uncomfortable when I think about how much that is, lol.
                              I am a little further along than you in this process but sounds like similar. A great girl or the one for you will be happy with whatever you get her. With that said you will probably want to give her the best you can comfortably afford. Don't go looking wide eyed. Create a budget of what you are willing to spend with an idea of what you want. You can always upgrade later or add to it. Find a good jeweler (not a box store) and they will work with you.

BTW... there is a pretty darn good one here on TBH...

Comment

Go ahead and sell all your "toys" that you don't really need and go all in!

Comment

Working...
                                X