No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to do a field day in AZ for the hunter safety bonus point this year??? Take the online course, then spend a day for an in the field course. A big pain, but if you do it. You will start with one point for everything every year. Apply for 5 years straight and you get a loyalty point. So you can have two points for all species every year as long as you don't miss a year. Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
      No AZ for me either.. Just finished my CO and NM apps though.. I know I'm way off in CO but hoping for NM again.. Putting in for a little easier units but still have to beat the odds..
      Yeah, I drew the WY tag so I will buy points in CO. Trying to decide if I want to try for a hail mary in NM too??? I guess two elk hunts in one year isn't a terrible problem. Hard part would be having my wife ever let me live it down, or the bright shiny things she would buy while I was in the woods. ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        Yeah, I drew the WY tag so I will buy points in CO. Trying to decide if I want to try for a hail mary in NM too??? I guess two elk hunts in one year isn't a terrible problem. Hard part would be having my wife ever let me live it down, or the bright shiny things she would buy while I was in the woods. ha ha ha
        May as well! Even if it's for extra tough units.. In the end your only out $13 for a chance at hunting the Gila..

Comment

My last elk hunt was late Sept 2008. As we sat in a spike camp in Gunnison NF Colorado, we did not know Lehman Brothers went belly up and the world’s financial institutions tanked. I returned hone to be laid off with 1/2 of the startup I co founded. I’ve not gone since.

God’s been good. My Montana non res application goes in the mail tomorrow, and the Icon came from Kuiu a couple days ago.

I’ve never hunted elk with my son, we’ll be in the Tobacco Roots and Madisons.

The Lord willing, my 2019 application will be Montana resident and there will be the 1st annual Zack Kolda Memorial TBH elk hunt. BigL bought Zack’s bow he sold before he left Austin or Afghanistan, never to return home to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And Colorado is done, it feels weird, buying all those points for $31 and knowing everyone and their dog is doing the same thing this year. Wonder how bad point creep will be now????

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              And Colorado is done, it feels weird, buying all those points for $31 and knowing everyone and their dog is doing the same thing this year. Wonder how bad point creep will be now????
              Gonna be rough, mainly for the OIL animals...

It is nice not having to drop my tax return on tags though lol.. I can actually get my return in February instead of June

Comment

az elk

Had 12 points in AZ sfor elk so didn't think I had much of a chance. Last time I drew took me 13 points to get unit 9 early bow. My buddy drew in 9 early archery and he only had 6 points. Another AZ buddy has 18 points and didn't draw and a girl he knows drew with 1 point in the same unit.
                I've got 18 points for mule deer and was told I most likely will never draw the strip tag.....but I keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre View Post
                  Had 12 points in AZ sfor elk so didn't think I had much of a chance. Last time I drew took me 13 points to get unit 9 early bow. My buddy drew in 9 early archery and he only had 6 points. Another AZ buddy has 18 points and didn't draw and a girl he knows drew with 1 point in the same unit.
                  I've got 18 points for mule deer and was told I most likely will never draw the strip tag.....but I keep trying.
                  Yep, it is much easier to make more money and go on big hunts than waste away waiting for once in a lifetime hunts, IMO. AZ is a bit different than some with the random pool. But I'm the kind of guy who would rather hunt units more often than hunt them once in my life. To each their own though.

Can you draw an archery strip tag soon???

Comment

Bill, so sorry I missed this earlier. Sounds like you have yourself a great game plan. A TBH hunt would be amazing!!!! Half of my family grew up in Carbon County MT, in Red Lodge and Roscoe. I would LOVE to go back.

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    My last elk hunt was late Sept 2008. As we sat in a spike camp in Gunnison NF Colorado, we did not know Lehman Brothers went belly up and the world’s financial institutions tanked. I returned hone to be laid off with 1/2 of the startup I co founded. I’ve not gone since.

God’s been good. My Montana non res application goes in the mail tomorrow, and the Icon came from Kuiu a couple days ago.

I’ve never hunted elk with my son, we’ll be in the Tobacco Roots and Madisons.

The Lord willing, my 2019 application will be Montana resident and there will be the 1st annual Zack Kolda Memorial TBH elk hunt. BigL bought Zack’s bow he sold before he left Austin or Afghanistan, never to return home to Texas.

Comment

I was told by an outfitter that I will never draw the tag, rifle or archery. They don't draw all the max point people each year which would make me a possible in a couple of years. Its all about having as many people put in as possible. One guy has drawn the unit 9 elk 3 times in 8 years. Another buddy of mine has 38 points for antelope. Never drawn. He's a hardheaded bas*****. He just won't give up. LOL

Comment

I was told by an outfitter that I will never draw the tag, rifle or archery. They don't draw all the max point people each year which would make me a possible in a couple of years. Its all about having as many people put in as possible. One guy has drawn the unit 9 elk 3 times in 8 years. Another buddy of mine has 38 points for antelope. Never drawn. He's a hardheaded bas*****. He just won't give up. LOL

He’s either being dishonest with you or he is just buying points every year. There isn’t a single antelope hunt in AZ that took more than 25 points to draw last year. If he has 38 points then he just doesn’t want to hunt.

Comment

The Elk Thread

And you aren’t too far off from drawing a strip tag. It will happen in the next 3-5 years if you are at 18 points.

I’m interested to know what outfitter told you that you’d never draw. It’s pretty basic math when you look at the historical draw odds. You will definitely draw the tag if you keep putting in and don’t die in the next 5 years. And assuming they don’t cut tag numbers on an ongoing basis below the historical levels.
                          Last edited by RdRdrFan; 03-14-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Montana’s deadline is today. Online application.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              Montana’s deadline is today. Online application.

Got mine put in a couple of weeks ago. Going with my brother and best friend from high school.

I worked in Helena last year and did a lot of looking around and going out with guys from work. Hopefully, the wolves stay away from where we plan on being.

Comment

The Elk Thread

My son’s been trying to shoot a wolf but no success. His (and my) concern are Griz in the Madison Range. I could put bear loads in my 45, but I think I’ll spend the grand and either get the .454 Casul Alaskan or Toklat.

Bear spray with the wind “is how the hippies want to get hunters killed” per my son. I know of 2 hunters in the ER local to him from Griz attacks.

Last edited by Bill; 03-15-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X