No announcement yet.

Heli hog hunt questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might see if I can do the first 30 min with shotgun and the 2nd 30 min with the AR

Comment

AR and 100 rounds should do the trick if your a decent shot. It’s way more fun and you’ll pick off more hogs from greater distances then the others with you using shotguns. I go a couple times per year.

Comment

When I went I had 200 rounds of .223. 100 rounds of 69 gr soft point and 100 rounds of 72 gr hollow point.

We were shooting with Eotechs. If you can pick up and keep on target with a scope, you should be good. If not, I would recommend a holographic.

I ended up killing 22 hogs and 2 coyotes and came home with over half my ammo (got lucky, A LOT).

The problem with shotguns is the round count they hold and reloading. Sometimes you won't have enough time to reload before the pigs are lost.

One thing, you will have a perma-grin for about a week!! This is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          AR and 100 rounds should do the trick if your a decent shot. It’s way more fun and you’ll pick off more hogs from greater distances then the others with you using shotguns. I go a couple times per year.
          If the goal is to kill as many pigs as possible the shotgun is the only way to go. If you want to have fun, crank rounds, and who cares if you are hammering the population go with the AR.

Fun either way.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
            I'm interested as well. I always figured a shotgun with buckshot would be better. Don't some of the pilots provide the weapon and ammo?
            My son did a Heli hunt and they used Buckshot the first time and then AR the next time. they were way more productive with the buckshot than with the AR's. he took 150 shotgun shells and took 300-400 .223 ammo

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
              If the goal is to kill as many pigs as possible the shotgun is the only way to go. If you want to have fun, crank rounds, and who cares if you are hammering the population go with the AR.

Fun either way.
              It’s more about having fun. Especially if we all shoot ARs.

Comment

I would recommend a red dot of some type for your AR.
                I am much more effective with my vortex vbrite on max power in the daytime on running pigs than with simple crosshairs
                But I have never flown for pigs. Just know some people that have. Also Heard the shotgun (high end semi-auto) is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroke View Post
                  As far as ammo goes... I bought a couple hundred of the AE 5.56 M193 ammo when it went on sale. Would that work (maybe just a few more rounds to take them down) or would you suggest staying away from it?
                  They will work great. That is what we used and it killed the shizz out of them. I wouldn't use the M855 "green tips" though. I would also use it as an excuse to get a red dot.... 3X on running pigs that close is going to be tough. If your pilot is good you are liable to be shoot them at 10-15 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    They will work great. That is what we used and it killed the shizz out of them. I wouldn't use the M855 "green tips" though. I would also use it as an excuse to get a red dot.... 3X on running pigs that close is going to be tough. If your pilot is good you are liable to be shoot them at 10-15 yards.
                    So the Vortex Sparc would be a good starter red dot? I don’t want to break the bank on the sight but I also don’t want crap

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

Fun either way.
                      The guys using shotguns in the helicopter with me would tell me to ease up so they could kill a few.

Comment

if you are sitting on the right side and moving forward aim in front of your target, if you are on the left aim behind target. This has to do with the rotor wash

Comment

Originally posted by Stroke View Post
                          So the Vortex Sparc would be a good starter red dot? I don’t want to break the bank on the sight but I also don’t want crap
                          The eotech sights are what I use on my ARs, easy to scan and shoot. I use v-max bullets

Comment

Originally posted by StickSlinger View Post
                            if you are sitting on the right side and moving forward aim in front of your target, if you are on the left aim behind target. This has to do with the rotor wash
                            Just make sure you’re on the right

Comment

Just make sure you’re on the right
                              Note taken!

Comment

The guys using shotguns in the helicopter with me would tell me to ease up so they could kill a few.
                                Probably shooting way out of range then because if it is very brushy you will be shooting out into areas you cant see where the rounds are going. Its one of the biggest issues I have seen with all the helicopter hunts popping up posting videos all over the net. Rounds should be going down into the ground where you can see not out to the sides like you see on a lot of the videos.

I have over 1500 documented hours gunning from the air there's no substitution for buckshot for large scale killing. I've shot everything from AKs, ARs, 9mm rifles, etc out of one. Even shot a few with a 1911. Like I said its fun shooting them all just really depends what your goal for the day is.
                                Last edited by txwhitetail; 02-14-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X